VMware and Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sylosis, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sylosis macrumors newbie

Alright so i got my new macbook yesterday (2gb, 2.16ghz) and it came with VMware loaded with Vista (even though i asked for XP). Anyway yeah I was just wondering because I heard that you can't really game properly in parallels or Vmware so i might have to use bootcamp.
    Apparently my hard drive was partitioned for VMware, and what I want to know is if I have to use bootcamp to play games (I know I won't be able to play new games I just want to have something incase I get bored) and i partition my hard drive again, will it be overwriting the old Windows partition or will the Windows part of the old partition be now included in the Mac part of the new partition?

Also if the latter is the case, will i still be able to run Vista in VMware when i boot up in Mac aswell as being able to boot up in Windows XP?
    And a final question, Will gaming actually be better in Windows bootcamp or will it be the same as in VMware?

Cheers to anyone who can help.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

For gaming the only way IMO is with bootcamp... using vmware for games sucks big time. Weird that your HD is partitioned just for a virtual machine... for bootcamp you must partition the HD but not for a virtual. Anyway, once you do partition and install windoze via bootcamp you CAN absolutely boot into OS X and run your bootcamp partition as a virtual machine - as well as booting natively into windoze. I hope I've answered your questions!

3. Sylosis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah cheers, a couple more questions though, i have a 160gb hard drive and when i go to the bootcamp assistant it tells me i only have about 87gb free, seeing as i got this yesterday doesn't that seem a bit odd? Or is that normal? and finally with 87gb free how much do you think i should split between Windows and OS X?

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

First I would see what is taking up so much space... the virtual machine could be set to any size... 20, 30GB who knows? Personally what I would do is reinstall the OS from scratch... I assume you have Leopard? Anyway, I would reformat the drive and reinstall. Then, run the bootcamp assistant. As far as how much space to allocate to windows is up to you... I mean, I don't know what you will be doing. Vista seems to want more room than XP. For Vista I'd say 20GB minimum, when I did bootcamp with vista I gave it half my 160GB drive... now I use XP and only gave it 10GB. Again, this is what I would do, it only takes about 40mins to reinstall the system and seeing that you just got it yesterday, you can't have THAT much on it yet :D

5. Sylosis thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't format the drive because i have a lot of programs on here that came with it that i don't have the disks for. How do i find out how much the Virtual machine is set to? I'd being boot-camping XP Media Centre Edition btw

6. Sylosis thread starter macrumors newbie

7. iMan G5 macrumors member

8. Sylosis thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cheers, it all seems to be in order, quite lot of it is my music and about 10 gb is for Vista. There's also my Adobe software that takes up a lot of space

9. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

If you use iDisk syncing with dotMac then that could answer the apparently inexplicable leakage of disk space. You see, there is a bug in Leopard/dotMac that causes the local iDisk mirror to swell. You may find more information on that bug in the Apple user forum.

10. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Macbook loaded with Vista? Loads of programs pre-installed on your Mac?!

I thought one of the great things about Macs were that they didn't come with any bloatware?! I'm guessing VMware is taking up all the space so I'd remove the Vista section (you say you don't want it) which would save you loads of space. After doing that, install XP via bootcamp, and VMware can use the bootcamp partition to run as a Virtual Machine. You don't need to have 2 separate installations of Windows for bootcamp and VMware. One will do.

11. Type121 macrumors regular

:confused:

12. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Exactly my point:p