VMware - best way to install, etc... on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flanamac, Feb 11, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

I have a 2.33 iMac and plan to run Windows XP with the newest VMware program.

My question is (and feel free to point me to the thread where this is addressed if needed) what is the best allocation method concerning my hard drive, RAM, etc... for it if I am mainly using it for a database program that only comes in Windows format and nothing graphics related etc....

I am simply looking for an efficient install and suggestions from those that have run the traps on VMware for best configuration.

Oh, I have a new 17" MBPro on order, so this will also need to work on that machine.

Thanks for any help.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I like the default settings on VMware Fusion. Just increase the RAM within VMware from 512MB to something like 1.0 - 1.5GB. But make sure you max out on RAM for the iMac. You won't be able to allocate 1GB RAM in VMware if you only have 1GB in the iMac.

For work, I have to use a few Windows only apps too and I have my Fusion install set up with 2GB RAM. This on a MBP with 4GB RAM.

3. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for the tips. I wasn't sure how to manually allocate more RAM to VMware so any pointers on that would help.

I did see where you, witihin the Settings area, that you can "optimize for VMware" or "optimize for Mac OS" so that if you launch VMware, it imagine all your resources will bias toward helping the VMware applications/Windows run more like they have the bulk of your machine's abilities at their disposal (i.e. RAM, etc....).

Thoughts?

4. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I have mine allocated 2gb each for VM an OSX and it all runs fine, depends if your going to be doing a lot of stuff in each at the same time its probably best to split your resources down the middle.

5. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. If you don't mind, can you provide some detail as to how you allocate this within VMware?

Thanks.

6. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

When you open VMware, before you initialise the virtual machine you want click on Windows XP> Settings> Processor and Ram

You can only do this when the the virtual machine is powered off. Hope this helps.:)

7. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502