VMware Beta 2 - Insanely Slow Performance!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by m021478, Aug 16, 2008.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I have VMware Beta 2 installed on my MacPro (2x3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 16GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM) with a brand new installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 installed, and I have yet to install a single application in my VM, but the performance of the virtual machine is so incredibly slow and sluggish that I almost can't bare using it anymore!

When I say slow, I mean for example the mouse sometimes stutters when simply moving it across my screen, and clicking on a button like 'OK' or 'Save' pauses for a good 1-2 seconds before actually doing whatever it's supposed to...

I currently have VMware configured to use 2 Processors and 2048MB of RAM. My primary Mac hard drive that I am running the virtual machine from has over 100GB of free space...

What are some of the possible causes of such a tremendous performance slow-down such as the one I am experiencing, and how can I go about resolving the issue?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I use windows vista on it and I have no lags.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

go to settings, then video, and check "3D acceleration"

that should help speed things up quite a lot.

4. XianPalin macrumors 6502

Do you have "Enable Debugging checks" checked in the preferences? That can slow it down a bit. If so, try unchecking it.

Also selecting "Optimize for virtual machine disk performance" should also help.

5. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, "3D acceleration" and "Optimize for virtual machine disk performance" were both checked, and "Enable Debugging checks" was not checked!!

Go figure!

Any other thoughts?

6. XianPalin macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure VMWare automatically does this, but make sure you have the VMWare tools installed, that makes a pretty big difference with things.

If they are installed, maybe try uninstalling them and reinstalling and see if that does anything.