VMware + Bootcamp= single license?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KYCJ, Oct 29, 2010.

1. KYCJ macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I tried searching but there are no exact answers for this.

I am just wondering, if I install Windows 7 via bootcamp first, then install VMware Fusion and point the installation of windows to the bootcamp partition, how many license of Windows 7 do I need?

Reason I ask is I have read some people saying that they need 2 copies of Windows 7 for the above installation and I'm wondering if there's any workaround for this issue. Some people seem to install fine while some tend to get the "your copy of windows is not genuine" issue each time they switch back and forth from bootcamp to VM.

I know calling Microsoft to get a new key is one way, just wondering if there's a way to skip the calling step. Can someone please post the exact instructions to avoid getting into such issue?

Thanks guys, have a good day :)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

One, but YMMV.

There are many threads about this. Most recently, someone reported some issues with Office activation...

B

3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

This seems really frustrating...and I don't understand how...okay, if you activate in Bootcamp, and then have to reactivate in a VM using the Bootcamp install...wouldn't you have to reactivate AGAIN when you switch back to bootcamp?

Or maybe rebooting to bootcamp every now and again resets the counter?

Ah activation...how I hate you.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Basically the deal is that when you activate in Boot Camp and then in the VM, VMWare Tools (or the equivalent) makes them look like two different hardware configurations of the same machine (very much like how a docked laptop may have different hardware when docked or undocked) so you do need to activate both hardware configurations once, but it knows enough to not make you re-activate at every reboot.

Anything can trigger the need to re-activate, sometimes it can be just upgrading VMWare Tools that will do it.

B

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Although I've activated Windows a ton of times, I've only had to call Microsoft twice for failed activations and both times they were very nice and activated my product immediately. Its really not a big deal if its legitimate which bootcamp+vmware on the same computer definitely is.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The EULA isn't crystal clear on this being a legitimate use.

Regardless, the retail licenses are far more lenient than OEM on activation so if you want to be able to activate automatically more easily get a retail license.

B