VMware converter/Vista 64?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Julien, May 20, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Downloaded VMware converter to my Vista 64 just to do a test run and make sure it's Vista 64 compatible. Not sure how it works but when I start the Conversion Wizard and get to selecting source and click {This Local Machine} I get an error that says "You don't have enough rights to preform this operation. Administrative rights are required". In the boxes User Name it has: Main-PC/John Doe and in Password it has: ******** even though I don't have a password set. These boxes are grayed out so I can't edit them. Should I wait and run VMware converter from the Pro Mac when I get it or can/should it run from my Vista 64 PC?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I cannot post without saying what a bad idea it is to not have a password set for your admin account.

Try setting a password, and then running the converter.

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

It's my home PC and I'm the only user so not have a password is a benefit, not a problem.;)

I just made a password that is six letters long however when I run VMware converter I get the same eight (********) in the password box with no way to edit.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/faqs.html

Apparently VMWare Fusion does not support VMWare converted images.

Apparently VMWare Converter doesn't support Vista.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That looks like an old document, because the version of Converter that we use at work lists Workstation 6 and Fusion as supported targets. I'm not sure about Vista though.