VMware Fusion 11 Released With Support for macOS Mojave, 18-Core iMac Pro, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

VMware has released Fusion 11, the latest version of its virtualization software, with full support for macOS Mojave and the latest Mac hardware, including the 18-core iMac Pro and the 2018 MacBook Pro with a six-core Intel Core i9.

[​IMG]

VMware Fusion, like rival software Parallels Desktop, can run hundreds of operating systems, ranging from the latest Windows 10 versions to Linux distributions like Ubuntu, directly on the desktop of a Mac.

VMware says Fusion 11 delivers many new features and platform enhancements, including an updated user interface. A new Application Menu allows users to quickly switch between virtual machines, or create a new one; change view modes, settings, and snapshots; or launch Windows apps with a single click.

[​IMG]

Fusion 11 and Fusion 11 Pro both default to Apple's Metal graphics rendering engine on supported hosts, with added DirectX 10.1 compatibility. The new version also allows for customizable Touch Bar controls on the latest MacBook Pro models.

[​IMG]

There are also many under-the-hood performance improvements, particularly with Virtual NVMe devices. Users can change their virtual disk type to NVMe to increase performance on Macs equipped with SSD storage. Meanwhile, security fixes and architectural changes have been made to mitigate threats like Spectre and Meltdown.

VMware details other new features, including a new Finder integration at the top of the VM Window, on its website.

Fusion 11 and Fusion 11 Pro are available today for $79.99 and $159.99 respectively via VMware's website. Upgrade licenses for Fusion 11 and Fusion 11 Pro are available for $49.99 and $119.99 respectively for existing users of Fusion 10, Fusion 8, or Fusion 8.5. Prices and availability vary by region.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 11 Released With Support for macOS Mojave, 18-Core iMac Pro, and More

2. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Looking forward to trying this and comparing against Parallels 14.

3. acgmph macrumors member

acgmph

Disappointed to see VMWare is going the same route as Parallels and releasing a new paid upgrade every year. Part of my reason to switch was the precise lack of nickel and dime-ing. Guess I’ll switch to Virtual Box now. Good riddance...

4. fmillion macrumors member

This has to be an error? Unless maybe Workstation running on Boot Camp can boot macOS? (That's possible I suppose, since I know ESXi running on bare metal Macs can boot macOS) Other than that possibility though, the only ways to run OS X/macOS on Workstation that I've ever read about have been through modded Hackintosh images or modifying Workstation itself. Pretty sure VMware wouldn't deliberately add any functionality specifically to help that process along...

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

Excellent news...time to upgrade in a few days.

6. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Erm, it's a paid upgrade per major release, which may happen every year. The old version still works, you don't have to upgrade. Just because Apple moved to give OS updates for free, doesn't mean every software house has to become a charity too.

7. bob24 macrumors 6502

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. I've been a long time VMWare customer partly because of their better pricing/upgrade policies. They seem to have lost that advantage now.

8. fmillion macrumors member

VMware has the courage to charge more frequently for their product.

9. bob24 macrumors 6502

There is no problem with paid upgrades. But if you read the post you quoted again the complaint is that VMWare moved from a 2 or 3 years paying upgrade cycle to a yearly one, making it quite a lot more expensive than it used to be to always stay up to date.

Of course they are free to make that choice, but their customers are also free to be dissatisfied with it and move away from VMWare which has lost one of its competitive advantages.

10. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

My mistake. I removed this sentence.

11. chris_b macrumors newbie

Aside from 2016 when they had a .5 release, it has been a yearly paid major upgrade since 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_Fusion

12. fiatlux macrumors regular

Note that Fusion 8.5 still seems to work perfectly in Mojave, running the latest version of Win 10 in my case, so you don’t have to upgrade if you don’t want.

And the upgrade price is valid for the three last revisions, not all sw editors are so generous.

13. Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

Tip: Wait a month for resold licenses to hit eBay and pick up a five dollar pro version. Worked well for the last year for me on 10 Pro.

14. chris_b macrumors newbie

Most likely those aren't legit. There is no activation which means the seller can buy it, then resell once they write down the key and keep using the product.

15. Dave-Z macrumors 6502

I stopped paying when they made this move. I don't know if it's still like this, but when they made that move even bug fixes for last year's release could not be had without paying to update to the next version. That really made the decision easy for me.

I switched to VirtualBox because I didn't need the extra features VMware and Parallels offer. It's not as polished as the paid alternatives but it works for me. (I can definitely see that it wouldn't work for everyone though.)

16. Arty6 macrumors member

They could release patches to support new OSs that come out. Instead, whenever you upgrade your OS you have to pay to upgrade Parallels/VMWare in order for it to even be functional. It’s a racket, plain and simple.

17. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I’m using Fusion 10 on Mojave and it’s working great. In fact it’s worked great through the whole Mojave beta cycle without a hitch. So not sure what you’re taking about?

18. chucker23n1, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2018

chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

That's not what happened. The product is at version 11, and and the first version was in 2007 (i.e., 11 years ago). They skipped version 9, and they also skipped a major release in 2016, but for the most part, it has on average clearly seen roughly a major release almost every year.

19. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Hmm. Bit tired of this. I think I might "downgrade" from 10 Pro to 11 Standard this year as I only occasionally use the Pro features. I wish they offered a bit more value on the upgrade prices. However it is what is, they are the best virtualization solution by a distance imo.

20. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

I prefer Parallels subscription. Yeah, I’m weird that way.

21. nutmac macrumors 68040

Both might as well switch to subscription model.

Parallel Desktop "Pro" and "Business" editions are $99.99/year subscription only, which many might view as a better deal than VMWare charging $119.99 for the Pro version that is updated on an annual basis.

22. iToph macrumors regular

is it possible to run Mojave in VMWare on windows?

23. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Reading complaints about being a paid upgrade and comparing it to Parallels doesn't make sense. There's a MAJOR difference between VMware and Parallels. VMware continues to work with every OS update while Parallels stops working EVERY YEAR. I'm happy with VMware and upgrade every couple years for $50. So that's $25 a year they get from me, vs Parallels which gets NOTHING.

24. chucker23n1, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Has someone managed to migrate an existing Windows 10 VM using SCSI to NVMe? Windows seems to boot into automatic repair afterwards.

(edit) works now

I'm not entirely sure whether it's because I updated VMware Tools or whether first changing the non-boot volume to NVMe, booting Windows, having the NVMe storage controller appear in Device Manager, shutting down, and only then changing the boot volume as well fixed it. Or both.

25. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

No. MacOS only runs on Apple Hardware unless you build a hackintosh system.