Vmware Fusion 2.0 & Parallels 4.0 - First Time User Help!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Jan 8, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i plan on using vmware fusion 2.0 or parallels 4.0.. i heard fusion is more stable but the video on parallels website is more enticing.. dont know which to get.. but my question is:

i heard vmware and parallels will ask me to configure the laptop to allocate 1 to 2gb memory for windows .. does that mean itll limit my MAC OSX from using all 4gb at all times to only 2gb of memory? or only when i am running the vmware/parallels program?

and i also heard u have to allocate a portion of ur hard drive to the parallels and vmware. if i have 300gb of hard drive space and allocate 20gb, does that mean i will only have 280gb of space available on my MAC OSX at all times now?

thanks!!

2. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anybody? :-(

3. LionsKiss macrumors member

I tried fusion 1 and the equivalent version of parallel at that time and found fusion to work better for me. I am now running Fusion 2.

[1] Only when running the app.

[2] Depends on your settings. You can pre-allocate space, or let vmware fusion use more space as when required.

Edit: [1] and [2] applies to VMware Fusion 2. Not sure about earlier versions of Fusion or about any version of Parallel. Parallel 4 may suite me better than Fusion 2 does as I haven't read or tested Parallel 4.

4. jlamb0 macrumors member

If you have a 300GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM, I'd say you're pretty much in the clear. I currently run Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP in virtual machines using Sun's VirtualBox, and I'm on a Macbook with 2GB of RAM. I've tried the free trials of Fusion and Parallels, but VirtualBox meets my needs and it's free.

If you want to run Vista with any speed, though, I'd recommend using Boot Camp (Which I'm also using, do I sound cluttered yet?). XP runs pretty well with only about 500 to 700 MB of RAM allocated to it on my machine.

Anyway, hope this helps!