VMware Fusion 2.0 turns macbook fan on like crazy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnnyhow, Oct 17, 2008.

1. johnnyhow macrumors regular

I recently upgraded to VMware fusion 2.0 on my macbook (sept. 2007 edition) and after starting up windows xp it causes the fan to turn on like crazy and the macbook gets heaps hot.

It does this most of the time, and even after shutting down vmware fusion, the fan remains on, it really annoys me cause the fan is loud and it's not nice holding a hot macbook especially now that summer is just around the corner.

Any suggestions on what I can do? My Macbook is 1Ghz, should i upgrade to 2? And i have 233mhz dedicated to xp, which should be enough for what im using it for, microsoft office 2007, that's all, don't use xp for anything else.

please help.
    thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's normal VM operation. Yes, really.

More RAM is always a good idea.

3. johnnyhow thread starter macrumors regular

so the fan should be on full speed with vmware fusion?
    It never used to when i had version 1.2, it's only after upgrading that the problem occured.
    Would upgrading the ram stop it from overheating?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Virtual machines tend to use a lot of CPU power in general.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ not so. When I used fusion, it only ate at max around 10-15 cpu under Activity Monitor. And are you using the MacBook without a power adapter? I seem to recall the MacBooks have a 2.0GHZ processor but when it's running on battery power, it will underclock itself due to power constraints.

6. johnnyhow thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I meant say it was 2Ghz, but with 1GB of ram.

Nah i pretty much always use my macbook plugged into the power and the power setting is on normal.