VMware Fusion 2 Boot Camp conflict

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bay2sacto, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bay2sacto macrumors member

I have the latest version of Fusion installed and had to reinstall Win XP on my boot camp partition because it hosed the graphics driver/subsystem. I was utilizing the feature that lets Fusion treat boot camp as a vm. Which was working great. Except when I went to launch any game in XP it would complain it couldn't run cause I didn't have a Direct X 9 Graphics card installed. When I launched device manager there was no display adapter shown and I couldn't install the nvidia driver cause it wouldn't find the card. After the XP reinstall all was back to normal, but after launching Fusion again, same thing. Another reinstall, all better. So now I'm afraid to launch Fusion for fear of it hosing my boot camp install. Anyone else experience this? Is there a way to tell Fusion to be hands off my Boot Camp?

Oh this is on a new late 2008 MBP 2.5Ghz

Thanks

2. Ollie N macrumors regular

Ollie N

kind of

you can tell it hands off my boot camp by creating a new virtual machine.
    :D now? :apple:

3. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

I created a vm from my old XP pc already which has been there the whole time.

4. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Maybe update your bootcamp driverse to 2.1 ..or whatever the newest is.

I have imac with ati card, and have no problem using windows xp, both in bootcamp and inside vmware. No missing/overwritting of drivers. Only error i get inside vmware is the ati's message about ati's display center blaahblaah...

5. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

They were already the latest 2.1 when I got my MBP. Just kinda weird. Seen a few others with the same prob on other boards.

6. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Don't mean to thread hi-jack but this is a cool feature in VMWare! So I can have a Bootcamp windows Vista setup (to play high powered games) on my MBP 17" and VMWare can use that slice to boot into? So for example if I need to just access something small off the windows slice I don't have to boot into it and can fire it up in VMWare? Does Parallels do this to?

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, this is how I use VMware. I access my Boot Camp install of Vista from Fusion in Leopard almost exclusively. As you mentioned above, the only time I ever actually boot into Boot Camp is for occasional gaming.

Yes, I believe Parallels also offers the option to access Boot Camp installations as a VM but don't quote me on it because I only actually own Fusion.

8. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Any Parallels users able to speak up about this?

FYI THIS IS COOL AS HECK.