VMWare Fusion 2 -- still slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Slav2009, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Slav2009 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am running VMWare Fusion 1.1.3 on my Macbook 2.4ghz 2gb RAM. I had upgraded to 2.0 when it was first released last year, and it was SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.. took over 5 mins to boot up, and so many people had similar issues. Anyway I ended up reinstalling Leopard and went back to 1.1.3, all was fine..

So now after giving it some time, have they resolved the speed issue? Is it safe to upgrade to the latest version now? I'm not having issues with my current version but I like to stay on top of releases as much as I can.

Thanks for the info :)

2. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I recently installed VMWare Fusion 2.0.5 on my iMac (3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.5.8 with 4 GB of RAM). On my machine, it is _fast_. It's noticeably faster than my Dell Inspiron 9200 (which is, admittedly, an old laptop).

If I were you, I would upgrade, particularly if you are not happy with the performance of your old version.

3. Slav2009 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not unhappy I barely use it except for some statistical analysis software and stuff, so I'm just wondering if that speed issue was fixed. I could stick with 1.1.3

4. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Why not download the 30 day trial version and give it a go.

5. TXBDan macrumors regular

runs fantastic for me. i couldnt be happier w/ VMware Fusion 2. I use WinXP in it the most, but i've also had Win7 and Ubuntu in it without a hitch. all ran great.

6. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Same for me, I have it running on (...puts on flame suit) a hackintosh and also my whitebook I picked up a few months ago. For day-to-day stuff (email/office/printing) it's comparable to my real PC. Games... well, that's a different story. (but that's where BootCamp comes in anyway)

I've been perfectly happy with VMWare Fusion (I think it was around 2.0 when I purchased it)

--rob

7. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I'm one of those people still having that issue on an iMac 2.4ghz 4gb RAM. Updating hasn't fixed it for me. Interestingly, I'm running Fusion 2.0 on the Mac Pro as well and XP boots up in 35 seconds.

Is reinstalling Leopard the only way to downgrade? I tried uninstalling 2.0 and reinstalling 1.1.X, and it still booted to 2.0 when I was done. Reinstalling Leopard wasn't an option I was willing to try at the time given that I had neither a Time Machine nor a SuperDuper drive. That's been remedied, but we only boot to Windows on the iMac to update Quicken, so we've just been living with it all these months.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. It'd be interesting to hear from those who had the speed issue, but have resolved it somehow (other than reinstalling Leopard :)).

8. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Have you guys tried reloading MacFuse ( http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ )?

I'm not sure exactly what it does, but whenever I installed VMWare, it always wanted to make sure I had the latest version. Maybe that part of the install was skipped over? Just a shot in the dark...

--rob

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you're using VMware with a Boot Camp partition then it's going to be slow. If you're using it with a virtual disk it should be very fast, as it is for me.

10. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I'm only booting virtual machines. For the record, booting is what takes 4-5 minutes. Once it boots, the virtual PC runs just fine. Again, not a huge deal. It'd just be nice to know what's causing it.

Is MacFuse part of the Fusion Install? But to answer your question directly: no, I haven't tried reinstalling it.

11. dyn macrumors 68030

Officially you just need to uninstall the current version and reinstall the old 1.1.x version. There might be some problems due to VMware Tools which is newer in 2.0.x so before uninstalling 2.0.x uninstall the VMware Tools in the vm. When uninstalling Fusion you need to use the uninstaller from the install package, don't just drag 'n drop it to Trash.

Yes it is. Fusion uses it for some filesystem stuff: What is MacFuse?.

If you do want to upgrade 1.x to 2.0.x be sure to check out the following document for upgrading the vm: Updating an Older Virtual Machine to VMware Fusion 2 (pdf). Doing what that document says might prevent performance and stability issues after upgrading to 2.0.5.

For further information check out: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/resources