VMware Fusion 3 for Mac..is this any good

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramw5p, Mar 15, 2011.

1. ramw5p macrumors member

OK, so i am getting ready to by my first Mac, as discussed on here previously. I was looking at the software i can buy through my school cheaply...i see they have "VMware Fusion 3 for Mac" for free download.....is this a good download. I know i can transfer my stuff via external HDD to my MBP when i buy it, but is this an easier way to transport files etc? I don't understand half the stuff on their website, but im not a mac guy..YET. I don't plan on running windows on my mac, so is there any use to this software? Sorry, just wondering if it is what it claims, and if its useful. Thanks for any input

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you don't plan on running Windows on your Mac then you don't likely need VMware Fusion at all. It allows you to create a virtual machine and run Windows (or other OS like Linux). However, you need a copy of the OS.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

VMware Fusion is a virtual machine application. It lets you set up a virtual copy of Windows/Linux that you can open in a window and use (requires a valid install disc/key). Check out the website: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

If you want to run Windows on your Mac, even in bootcamp (direct install, not virtual install), I'd reccomend getting either VMWare Fusion or Paralleles.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If you've no need/have reason to be running any windows software on your mac, it won't be much use to you. It's just for running a virtual machine copy of windows/other pc os whilst under OS X.

5. ramw5p thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!!!

See, thats why i love this place..ask a question, get an answer. Let me say that for those of us that are not computer experts, we appreciate all the great answers those of you who know what you are talking about give!! I am learning, and i feel confident that when i get my MBP, i will be able to figure everything out, thanks to help here if i need it! Thanks again.