VMware fusion 3- windows on a mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yjchua95, Jul 8, 2011.

1. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Hi guys.
    I'm planning to install Windows 7 x64 on my MbP via VMware fusion 3.
    I wonder whether windows viruses in the virtual machine can infect my mac's hard drive?
    Thanks.
    I know my question might sound dumb, but I just have no idea.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Windows viruses can in no way affect Mac OS X. However, it IS recommended you get antivirus software depending on the way you set it up. I set my virtual machine up as isolated, so it doesn't share any of my Mac's files. That way, if I do get a virus on Windows, it can't harm any of the files that are physically on my MacBook. So if you do set it up that it works hand in hand with Mac, then I'd strongly suggest you get an antivirus program :)

3. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

A few days back, I just installed Norton Internet Security on my MbP. Will this work? I know that Windows viruses can't blow up Mac :) but I might have some intentions of sharing the VM files with my Mac. So is my Norton Internet Security up to the job?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, for a couple reasons. First, you would have to make intentional changes to enable writing to your Mac partition from Windows, which you're not going to do unless you have a specific reason. Second, no Windows malware can run on Mac OS X, so you could store thousands of Windows viruses on your Mac and they wouldn't harm anything, other than taking up space.

5. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

This clears up most of my problems now :D can my Norton detect the Windows viruses?
    Earlier this morning (Malaysian time), my Lion download finished (finally!). Can I reinstall Norton without paying again?