VmWare Fusion 4.0 with Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dfine1966, Sep 15, 2011.

1. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Right now I have my 2011 27inch iMac setup with Lion installed and have Windows 7 Pro edition 64 bit set up using bootcamp partition. It has been a pain to always switch back and forth between the two. Both load up quickly because it both are installed on the same SSD drive. I also have a 2 TB HDD internally.

My question is if I use the new VMWare Fusion 4.0 with Bootcamp, can I leave the bootcamp alone, not integrating directly into Fusion, but using Fusion along side with bootcamp? If so, how does it work. I want to be able at times, when I need all the power of Windows (which you get when not going virtually) to be able to boot into Windows through bootcamp by itself. Are you able to do both, bootcamp and Virtualization through Fusion?

Also, for some reason if I don't like Fusion, is there a way to completely uninstall Fusion ( without any remnants of Fusion left over) without harming the bootcamp partition? It would be like VMWare Fusion was never installed?

I just want to know some of these questions before I purchase VMWare Fusion 4.0

Thanks

2. Honbe, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

Honbe macrumors regular

Yes to both. You can boot directly to Windows or you can use the Bootcamp partition as a VM under Fusion. Fusion will not harm the partition at all, maybe will just install shared folder (depend on the settings) and you can install the VMWare tools.
    And yes, you can uninstall Fusion without harming the Bootcamp partition at all.
    I am unable to answer the question if Fusion leaves any remnants in OSX after being uninstalled - never had any need to do so. It does not leave anything in the Bootcamp partition (Windows) - maybe except the shared folder (easily removed) and VMWare tools (easily uninstalled).

3. kgallag1 macrumors member

fusion 4 and parallels 4 on the same bootcamp partition

Anyone know if you can load both Parallels and VMware to both use the bootcamp partition? I mostly just want to compare and contrast both for gaming performance among other things, and copying my Steam folder takes forever. I had thought to test Parallels for performance, then VMWARE, see how well each works.

4. Honbe macrumors regular

You can use both with the Bootcamp partition. Both will install its tools and shared folders.