VMWare Fusion 4 and Mavericks

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GeoffWillis, Jan 23, 2014.

1. GeoffWillis macrumors newbie

When I bought my MBP in 2012, I also bought VMWare 4.1.4 intending to load Linux on it. I fell in love with OSX and never bothered to load the Linux VM. Fast forward and now I need a Windows 7 VM, with MS Office. I loaded Win7 and MS office just fine, but when I try to configure either the hardware settings, or network adapters, it creates a new "Grayed out" window that eventually I just exit. I just recently upgraded from Lion to Mavericks and was wondering if Fusion 4 is not compatible with the new version of OSX. Everything works great (MS word/Excel...) except for the fact I have no internet access. I went this route because I need to install a plugin for Excel (NodeXL) that requires the "Real" windows version (Vs office for Mac) since it downloads a bunch of .net stuff that is required for the plugin to work. It just seems weird that I can't config the network (It never even detects my home network) and if I can solve it by simply upgrading to the new version I will. Sorry to be so long winded,and appreciate any guidance. Can always back consider Virtual Box, but wanted compatibility with work (VMWare servers).
    Geoff Willis

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I would ask VMWare, either by email or on their forums.
    I have VMWare Fusion 5 and had network problems when I upgraded to Mavericks but that was just a setting (virtual machine > settings > network adapter which had become set to "share with Mac". I set it to "auto detect" and things worked again.

3. Bear macrumors G3

VMware 5 just has a minor issue or 2 as Quackers said. From VMware 4, you should upgrade to the latest.

4. GeoffWillis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks folks, I guess for the price I can do the upgrade to ver 6. Was just trying to be sure the problem is some conflict with ver 4 and Mavericks. Considering what I spent for office and win7, the Fusion upgrade is cheap!
    Geoff

5. GeoffWillis thread starter macrumors newbie

It works!

Thanks folks, I did the upgrade to version 6 and everything works. I loaded Windows 7 (Killed me to do so, but needed it) and MS Office and it works fine. My only complaint is that it runs REALLY hot. To the point where it's no longer a laptop machine, just too hot. That will make me limit my time in the windows domain!
    Thanks again.
    Geoff

6. GeoffWillis thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question

While I'm quite pleased with the VMWare/Office install, I've noticed some issues that I wonder if are common. My MBP runs very hot now, where it never did before. It's to the point where I have to rest it on the table vice having it on my lap. Additionally, the battery depletes about twice as fast now. I always exit VMWare when not in use, I don't leave it running with Windows suspended, I exit all the way out. I can't explain whats happened, but was hoping somebody can shed some light on this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Geoff

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I realise that you've already installed version 6, but for the benefit of anyone else on 4: If you click the green Zoom "traffic light" then the settings panel will reappear.