vmware fusion 4 or parallels 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dfusion-, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dfusion- macrumors member

hey guys, currently i have an iMac:) Over some weeks i need to run some windows programs. So i have a questions: what is the main difference between vmware fusion 4 and parallels 7? And which one would you choose?:)

they seem all the same to me :p

2. wessew macrumors member

The answer is something of a moving target. Both products are new and re-designed to work well with Lion. They tend to be upgraded frequently and in tandem. In past versions, Parallels has been faster than Fusion by a considerable margin, but VMWare has had better support. Reviews are still not fully available but the initial input on Parallels is favorable. I have used both on my Mac Pro without issue, but I have found Parallels to be faster by a significant amount. I am now using Parallels 7 under Lion, and it is performing well without any issues. I have not yet upgraded Fusion to version 4 and, based on my initial experiences, I may not bother.

3. rdpbass macrumors newbie

I had both installed on OSX Lion, Fusion worked better for me. Parallels didn't work with some of the software I needed to run. I purchased Fusion. try both see what works with what your do'in.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

And search here; someone posted a benchmark and the results were virtually (heh) identical. So maybe price, or the bells and whistles they attach to make it easy to use.

Rob

5. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

I haven't tried Fusion 4, but I had the previous version on my old Macbook Pro. So for my new iMac I decided to try Parallels. And so far I have been pretty impressed with Parallels. It seems to offer more features and is fully integrated into Lion. I also had a bootcamp partition that I previously installed (which parallels was able to fully integrate within minutes). I don't think I will ever go back to bootcamp or Fusion after using Parallels.

Also, here is a pretty good comparison of the performance: http://www.lifeintech.com/blog/2011/9/17/fusion-4-vs-parallels-7-which-is-better.html

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

If you aren't in need of any specific features in particular take a look at VirtualBox.

It is FREE and works great for me when I need to run 'some windows programs.'

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I havent trie paraell 7 but I am satisfied with VMWare fusion 4

8. basher macrumors 6502

basher

VirtualBox is great if performance isn't a concern. My experience is that Fusion and Parallels run circles around VirtualBox.

9. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I returned parallel 7 for a refund. Theynhave a bug in which iSight fails if the virtual machine has over 2 GB RAM.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Sage Advice :)

I've been using VirtualBox for my Macs & PC's for years.

They do a very good job with it.

11. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

VirtualBox - if you can live with random freezes and not so shiny interface.
    Fusion - If you want a good combo of speed and stability.
    Parallels - If you want a bit more speed than Fusion but don't mind the sporadic crashes and other unexpected and inexplicable instabilities like network not connecting after sleep/wake etc.

Based on my recent experience - I own both Fusion 4 and P7.

12. jim31 macrumors newbie

Parallels 7

Recently upgraded from version 6 to version 7. Works great, no problems using both XP and Win7.

13. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I concur. If you don't have mission critical needs I wouldn't even consider a paid-for solution. Switched from Fusion to Virtualbox two years ago and do not notice the difference performance wise, but my needs are casual. I use it successfully for Windows XP and 7.

[I like free! :D]

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm partial to Vmware thanks in part to their rock solid product and their excellent top notch support.

From the benchmarks and reviews floating around the intarweb, I'd say both are closely matched performance wise. It all boils down to personal preference. Since both offer trials, try both and see which one you prefer

15. tyz macrumors newbie

I have a copy of 6 that I haven't installed yet -- will P6 work with Lion, or do I need to pay for an upgrade already?

16. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

P6 works fine with Lion. I upgraded and basically saw no difference between 6 and 7.

17. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Parallels without a doubt. Runs cooler on my MBP, faster, better UI, more customizable, etc.

18. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

I think the only improvements were slight performance and the support to install Lion as a VM...

19. tyz macrumors newbie