VMWare Fusion 4 questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AppleDApp, Jan 5, 2012.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I checked out the system requirements for Vmware fusion 4:

I have a 2010 MBP core 2 Duo 4gb of RAM, I'm running lion I've got plenty of hard drive space and running VMWare is sluggish.

What would be the ideal specs to run VMware properly?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I would upgrade to 8GB of RAM, that ought to give you plenty of memory to use for your VM.

3. numidian macrumors newbie

I know this is an old post but I thought I would add that I have exactly the same MBP and was running VMWare rather sluggishly. I just picked up 8gb ram the other day and I can't begin to tell you how HUGE a difference it makes when running a virtual machine.

I would definitely recommend the upgrade.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Fast drive, lots of memory. Bigger the VM it has to go to disc for it.

Windows 7 you really don't need to bump the VM specs either. For the most part inside Fusion 1 proc and 1gb of mem is more than sufficient, adding more can frequently actually slow performance as it changes the way memory is paged.

5. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

These post seem rather contradicting themselves.

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Not really.

You basically want as much physical RAM as possible, as you don't want the computer to run out of physical RAM causing it to swap out to the hard drive.

With the virtual machine you want to minimise the amount of RAM assigned/available to it, as making a large mount of RAM available even if the physical RAM is free can slow it down.