VMWare Fusion 4 & Windows 8 install issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by admanimal, Sep 14, 2011.

1. admanimal macrumors 68040

Has anyone had success installing the Windows 8 preview (downloaded on 9/14) in Fusion 4? I can get the installer to start, but it always complains that some CD/DVD driver is missing and can't continue. I tried installing it as a Windows 7 machine or as just an Other 64 bit OS, but neither worked. If it matters, I'm using the Windows 8 64-bit Developer preview version.

2. bobnugget macrumors regular

Are you using easy install? Easy install doesn't work. I created a VM as Windows 7 64-bit, then booted it from the CD drive using the settings and it worked nicely. The only issue I ran into was first time I tried to link my account up with my Windows Live ID (without a network connection) and the installer hung and needed to be rebooted.

3. admanimal thread starter macrumors 68040

It turned out that the ISO I downloaded was missing 700MB or so of the file, so I'm re-downloading it now and hopefully that will solve the problem.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I successfully installed win8 on fusion 4. So yeah it does sound like your ISO is corrupted (especially since its missing 700 meg ;) )

5. tehgeekguy macrumors newbie

I didn't have any issues with the initial install, but I can't get the VMWare tools installed. I keep getting up to the graphics driver, then the whole system locks up. Only way to fix it is to reinstall the entire OS, or do a Restore/Refresh by booting off the dvd.

6. admanimal thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, I was able to install it once I got the whole file, but I have had issues with actually running it. I had it freeze up trying to install the VMWare Tools once, but I was able to get that to work after a couple of tries. However, each of the few times I have set up the virtual machine, it gets to a point after a couple of restarts where it will not boot.