VMware Fusion 4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gooch3265, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gooch3265 macrumors member

I have Fusion 3.1.3 installed atm. I purchased a licence less than 12 months ago which entitled me to 12 months' worth of upgrades.

I have checked my licence summary and I am entitled to an upgrade (presumably to 4.0). Whenever I click on "upgrade" in the licence summary page all that happens is that a new window pops up momentarily (in Safari) saying "Operation in progress...please wait" before the window disappears and nothing else happens.

I have also clicked "Check for updates" in the VMware Fusion menu whilst the program is running but it informs me that mine (3.1.3) is the latest version.

How do I complete the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

----------

It's all good. For some reason after I logged out of my account, and then logged back in, the process then advanced further.

2. ryNze macrumors newbie

I think the 12 months worth of upgrades is only for VMWare fusion 3.x

VMWare Fusion 4 is considered a new product so you are going to have to pay an upgrade fee.

3. geoSol macrumors newbie

Hi,

The VMware Fusion 4 free upgrade is for people that purchased it after 20 July 2011 (see https://www.vmware.com/support/product-support/fusion/faq/licensing.html#upgrades)

That said, this will be the last time I purchase a VMware product.

I bought and activated my VMware Fusion 3.1 on the 29th of July from a brick and mortar store, but I still have to send in an electronic copy of my receipt to qualify for this offer? Ridiculous! Even if I wanted to, I can't send in a copy of my receipt anyway... its faded away because it was printed on heat treated paper, how is that my fault?

For a tech company, that is a really really _stupid_ way of offering something for people that had no choice but to purchase the item from a store.

On top of that, the email address for support is unresponsive, and the vmware fusion forums are neigh on unnavigable (or maybe I lack the 'VMware thinking' to be able to figure out how to search and use their support forums).

Boo VMware. I thought you were cool.

geoSol.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Don't worry, Parallels isn't any better and may be worse. :( My copy of parallels (version 5) wouldn't run, it would just crash upon launching. After weeks of debugging by tech support; version 6 came out and they told me to upgrade. The upgrade had the same problem, then they told me, "Oh well."

5. wpotere Guest

Funny, I find their support very responsive. I have been working an issue with them now on 4.x for the last week. They generally respond within 24hours.

As for the rest, they need to validate what you are saying otherwise many people would take advantage of them. This is pretty big rewrite of their application and I am certain that a lot of time went into it. Just because you want something from free and are feeling entitled doesn't make them a bad company.

You have the product you paid for and it works, so what is your problem?

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

and its not just hem too.. even our beloved apple doesn't trust us. i believe you had to send in proof of purchase of some sort before you could download OS X Lion for Free... so its kinda protocol.