VMware Fusion 5 - Shared Folder (Read/Write) - Yet no write permissions in VM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by altjx, Aug 28, 2013.

1. altjx macrumors member

I am using VMware Fusion 5, and running Windows 7 inside of a VM. I have went to the Shared folders section and added a folder. The file permissions are set to "Read & Write".

The problem that I'm having is that, even though I can access this share from my VM, I can't right click > Create new > text file. I get the Windows 7 error stating "Unable to create the file 'New Text Document.txt' The system cannot find the file specified."

This is very annoying as I gave the shared folder Read & Write permissions within the VM's settings... I just created folders and files in this very same share a few days ago, and now it's not working... Can someone PLEASE assist me with this?

2. altjx thread starter macrumors member

Ok, after logging off and back on, I can finally read AND write to the shared folders. I don't even want to talk about why the hell this would happen.

Anyways, now I need to figure out why I can't save files directly to this mapped drive. I always have to save it to a local folder first, and then drag it over... Anyone has any input on that?

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

I do not have a solution, but I have a similar setup: VM Fusion 5.0.3 and have some mirrored and shared folders in the VM. I can access them from my Mac and within the VM without problems, and I have not seen your problem before.
    Maybe is related to a corrupted preferences file?
    What do you mean by "mapped drive"?