VMWare Fusion 5 Suddenly Very Slow in Games

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by N64, Jan 10, 2014.

1. N64, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

N64 macrumors regular

I've been using VMWare Fusion 5 to run Windows 7 to play some of the Total War games. It has been running them fine until recently. Suddenly, playing either Medieval or Rome was/is very slow. Basically unplayably laggy, even on horrible graphics settings, though everything else in Windows runs fine. This just happened one day and did not coincide with any other change. I was running Mavericks when this happened, but a downgrade to Mountain Lion (for other reasons) has not changed anything.

I have an expanding virtual disk (100GB max) running on a disk other than my bootup disk, actually, a RAID 0 striped set of two drives. I made a new disk and reinstalled Windows on it just in case I had some viruses or something and made this one pre-allocated to 40GB, still slow. Any ideas?

Here are my processor/RAM settings, and I've got this on an 8-core 2008 Mac Pro with 6GB of RAM. The VM is only using 2.2GB of RAM, and my system is fine on free RAM:
    [​IMG]

P.S. Word of advice in Windows: Do NOT download anything from CNET when it's available elsewhere… unless you just love toolbars.

2. N64 thread starter macrumors regular

Before anyone replies, I've found out that it's not only specific to the Total War games but only the CAMPAIGN maps in them, not the 3D battles with nice graphics. People have been complaining everywhere about this only to get dumb answers like "get a new CPU" or "set your scroll speed higher". Sounds like something unrelated to VMWare, or maybe only in a small way related. I'll try and figure it out.