VMWare Fusion 5 & Ubuntu Retina

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by covertsurfer, Sep 1, 2012.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if Fusion 5 will support retina resolution in Ubuntu?

I'm trying to set the guest to 2880 resolution and up the font scaling to 125% so I can have a large text editor for example.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My advice is to try it. Vmware offers a trial of Fusion 5 and Ubuntu is free.

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

As has been said before, just go and try it. But you will actually just have an extremely high resolution in your Ubuntu VM, not a "Retina" effect. That Retina display basically uses its high resolution to render a 1440x900 desktop in a way that you are not supposed to see any individual pixels anymore. When you launch an OS that does not do that trick, you will have a 2880x1800 pixels resolution, which will probably make everything look tiny on that rather small screen. That's what I would expect from Ubuntu (or Windows) in a VM.

So the more I think about it, the more I get the impression that using a Retina display is not always a good idea.

4. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

It will be small but if you put the DPI to 125% I think you have an excellent compromise