VMware Fusion 6 & Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Crazy Badger, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Anyone else having a problem with this?

I was using 5 and my Bootcamp partition without any problems, but when I've tried to upgrade to 6 I get the error message "If another virtual machine is using this disk, it must be powered off first"

Thought I hadn't closed it down properly in 5 so booted into Bootcamp and shut down, but no joy.

Reinstalled 5 and accessed Bootcamp without any problems, after initial set-up. Closed down, upgraded to 6 and the same problem :(

Any ideas?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No problems here. I updated to VMware Fusion 6 and started up my boot camp partition. It updated the tools and that's it.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Same here - upgraded to VMWare 6 from 5 (which was working fine) and get the "If another virtual machine is using this disk, it must be powered off first" message when I try to use my BootCamp partition....

Haven't gone back to 5 to try but from your experience it would appear to work....

Anyone any ideas - cannot see anything similar on VMWare support.....

Maybe it is a Scottish thing since I am in Scotland too !!!!

4. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I've attempted several times now, trying different things but can't set-up Bootcamp from the partition in v6.

Rolling back to 5 is pretty straightforward, although takes about 30 minutes to get everything set-up correctly again.

I'm getting the message below when I try to upgrade bootcamp, and then the "If another virtual machine is using this disk, it must be powered off first" when trying to recreate.

[​IMG]

I'll have to drop Alex (Salmond) a quick e-mail and see if he can put some pressure on VMware :D

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That is the same message I got when I first upgraded from 5 to 6....

I trashed the Virtual Machines folder in my User>Application Support folder and like you it won't allow me to run the BootCamp partition from 6.

I am using a DIY Fusion Drive on OSX 10.8.4 but VMWare 5 was fine and my BootCamp partition is on the HDD rather than the SSD part of the Fusion Drive.

Would imagine emailing Alex will be a waste of time :D

6. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

No Fusion Drive witchcraft here - just OSX running on a SSD and a partition on the HDD for Windows 7.

Will have a further look on the VMware forums and stick with 5 for the minute.

I'm guessing 6 will be more compatible with OSX9 so have a month or so to sort.

I might suggest to Alex that VMware could be his solution to a devolved Scotland - that should spark his interest :D

7. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Solution!

Turns out it doesn't like applications that let you read/write to your NTFS partition - in my case Tuxera NTFS. Disabled this, removed the old file from the users/application support/... folder and we're away.