VMWare Fusion 6 is asking me to activate Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Johnny Steps, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Originally I created a Bootcamp partition to use Windows 7. However I hated how bad my Macbook Pro heated up so I decided to give VMWare Fusion a try. Upon using it I found that Windows is asking me to activate it again.

Why is that happening? How can I solve this? It's the trial software for 30 days. I just want to see how often I'll use it and how it works with my laptop before I purchase it if that matters at all.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a new installation of windows isn't it? Or are you using the bootcamp partition?

Windows gives you like 30 days, so don't activate it, if you're not sure you want to keep Vmware Fusion?

3. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Oh, I might've been unclear with what I wrote sorry! I originally installed Windows 7 through Bootcamp. So I can boot into the other OS anytime. I activated Windows 7 as well (it's a legit retail copy)

However I wanted to have OSX alongside Windows, so I decided to try the 30 day trial of VMWare Fusion 6. With that program I selected to add the Bootcamp partition. But I just got the notification on the Windows side that I have three days to activate Windows 7 before I lose its features. But that doesn't make sense because I activated it already when I booted up to it through Bootcamp.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you make major hardware changes, Windows requires re-activation.

Moving a copy of Windows from a physical machine (Boot Camp) to a virtual machine (VMware Fusion) is enough of a change that Windows wants to re-activate.

If you call up MS, my guess is that they'd probably work with you on that.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've read where some folks haven't needed to activate and other had. Just try to activate automatically and falling that, just go do the phone activate. I had to reinstall windows in a VM instance and had to go phone activation. It was a breeze

6. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

All right then! Thank you guys for the help :)