VMware Fusion 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by matt3526, Sep 10, 2015.

1. matt3526 macrumors regular

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm thinking of upgrading from 7 but I'm hoping to hear others thoughts on it :)

2. doynton macrumors 6502

I use it and it works fine. I never used 7 though so can't compare but according to these benchmarks it is an improvement.

My only issue is I can't get Windows 10 to activate in VM as well as bootcamp but that is another story and not a Fusion 8 specific issue.

3. matt3526 thread starter macrumors regular

I have that exact same problem in VM 7. I wish they would sort it out

4. doynton macrumors 6502

MS issue I think with activating on hardware ID. It happens with Parallels also according to their forums.

I have an activated bootcamp partition and also an activated VMware VM. I tried swapping the disk in the VM for a raw disk to the bootcamp partition (to keep same hardware ID) but even that didn't work so I've given up for now.

On the bootcamp side I can run a Hyper-V VM either as a VM or native boot (and both are activated) so somehow it must be possible....

5. chrfr macrumors 603

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have done this several times on different computers, and each time it required me to go back and forth between the bootable Windows and the VM Windows a couple of times. I would reactivate it when I was on the bootable side, although sometimes it took awhile with several attempts, then reboot back to OS X and run the VM and try to activate. Eventually, both sides were activated and I had no further problems. This worked with both Fusion 7 and 8 as I recall.

Good luck ...

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

But which version of Windows was it?
    Windows 10 is using an all new activation process.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

This was for Windows 10 with the server-stored activation key. I was upgrading from a dual-access Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 on several Mac systems.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

So you upgraded the Bootcamp side? What did you have to do to the VM side?

10. doynton macrumors 6502

I have just got Windows 10 to activate in both bootcamp and Fusion 8 VM. I tried the "upgrade both" method to register both hardware IDs with MS servers but this didn't work for me. If I upgraded bootcamp it would activate and if I upgraded VM it would activate but never both.

The error I was getting was The activation server determined the specific product key has been blocked. (Error code: 0xC004C003).

I called phone activation (slui 4 from command prompt in Windows) and the MS tech I eventually spoke to swapped the generic upgrade key for a retail Windows 10 Pro key. For free.

I activated bootcamp with this new key and then recreated VM through Fusion. The VM activated automatically though the phone activation robot (just say it is installed on 1 PC). The only issue I had was all the new Windows apps crashing because I had forgotten to disable time syncronisation in Fusion settings. Disabling that and reinstalling VMware tools half a dozen times booting back and forth and it works fine.

Seems you need a retail 10 key - either from buying one or asking MS to give you one (I assume you have to have a genuine existing retail key to begin with - the key was one that I bought for €15 as an upgrade from 7).

11. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, upgraded the Bootcamp side, then simply created a new VM from that once it was all updated and activated.