VMWare Fusion and 6770M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by portcontrol7, Nov 21, 2011.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

Does anyone know how to make Windows 7 in VMWF recognize the 6770M in the late 2011 Macbook Pro? I just got this bad boy, and I want to try a game with maximum settings. I can't boot camp 7 because I don't have the DVD, but if anyone knows how to make a 7 USB I would love to get 7 running in boot camp. There is a tool in Windows to make the bootable USB 7, but it is not recognized in boot camp.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There is no way that I am aware of. You should not be playing games in a virtual machine. Use bootcamp instead.

3. zflauaus macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

I'm unfamiliar with Fusion 4 but Parallels 7 has a custom driver. However, it just passes through all the computations to the 6750 in my laptop. I've played a few older games (3 years old or so, FPS and flying) at 1920x1080 with full settings on and it worked just fine even though the card is limited to 256MB of RAM in the VM.

So yes, you can play games in a VM and most of the time it will play it decently. Will it be as great as playing them natively in Boot Camp? Chances are, hell no. There's no reason you can't try it out, though.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I didn't that you can't. I said you should not be. The drivers will not be as good as the native ones in bootcamp.

5. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Well Bootcamp about sucks

It's telling me I need to reformat my HD to partition it for Windows 7 as HFS+. I did a disk check and there are errors galore on the HD. Corrected them, and still wants me to partition. So now I am backing up all my data and reinstalling like it says... Good grief!

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I had this issue as well. Partitioned with a GParted Live CD, though. Worked out but never solved the disk errors and is kinda risky.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There are hundreds of tutorial that show you how to use bootcamp. When you start it allows you to create a partition on your hard drive that will be formatted into a windows file system. Your mac os data will not be lost. That's the whole point of dual booting. It is still a good idea to back up before starting.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020