VMWare Fusion and Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AfterBurial, Jul 5, 2011.

1. AfterBurial macrumors newbie

So I just made the jump to a MacBook Pro thinking that all my intensive windows only programs could be run on VMWare Fusion. Truth of the matter is most of my games don't run or run well in Fusion. However I still want to keep it around for some of the other applications i have.

So how should I go about getting Boot Camp and Fusion up and running? I assume you can run both off the same copy of windows 7? Do I have to uninstall fusion and start with Boot Camp?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure i do this right the first time :)

2. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Fusion is capable of using a Boot Camp install of Windows, but the Windows install must originate in Boot Camp. Thus you don't have to uninstall Fusion, but you will need to delete the Windows VM and use the Boot Camp Assistant to set up a new Windows install.

Once you've done this, the next time you return to OS X and start up Fusion, it'll notice your Boot Camp partition and take the steps necessary to allow you to use that as a VM seamlessly.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just be careful. VMWare has two ways of using Boot Camp partitions. To share one you want to launch not install it. Read: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014515 and the links therein.

B