VMWare Fusion and Fedora Linux

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grayfox, May 11, 2008.

1. Grayfox macrumors member

Hey

I downloaded Ubuntu the other day to use with VMware to see what linux was like since i hadn't used it before, i thought it was ok so i wasn't to try the other forms of linux out there, the other i heard of was Fedora, but when i use VMware there is no Fedora in the drop down menu, there Red Hat, Ubuntu and a couple of others, there's also an other.

Just wonders which i should use to install Fedora using VMWare Fusion.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Either pick the appropriate RedHat option or go for 'other linux' selecting the correct kernel.

3. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks, it installed good.

Also, i was wondering if anyone would tell me or know of a site i could find
    that could tell me how to install the VMware Tools. when i google it all i find it ones for 6 or 7 and when i type those it doesn't work, and it's annoying to have to use it in such a small box.
    If anyone could help that would be good :)

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

There's some advice here on installing VMware tools with Fedora 8. Hope it helps somewhat!

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I've gone through the "I'd like to try Linux" thing a few times, the most recent with Ubuntu. It usually happened when I got particularly fed up with Windows. Now that I have my iMac, I don't feel the need. My general conclusion about Linux is that while more stable than Windows, it gains that stability by being rather meek in pushing the limits of the hardware it is running on (maybe that's a good thing). In a sense Linux is downright boring. So I always ended up back with Windows. The Mac (which is based on Unix) cured me of both -- it pushes the limit of the hardware AND it is more stable, reliable and fun than Windows ever was.

6. Grayfox thread starter macrumors member

Hey

Thanks for that site, I'll test it out when I get home.
    I'm trying out Linux because I used to use windows and now I got a mac things like VMware seem easier to try out and get rid of on a mac then windows.
    Oh and will those instructions on that site work with the new beta of VMWare Fusion?