VMWare Fusion AND Parallels on a BootCamp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ernani, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ernani macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am a user of Parallels for some time now, but I decided to give fusion a try, since Parallels' memory overhead is killing me. I have a BootCamp installation of WinXP, and since I have being running Parallels, I have Parallels Tools installed. Now that I want to install fusion, should I uninstall Parallels Tools from my Windows installation first, or can VMWare and Parallels Tools coexist without problems?

Also, another quick question. I remember trying Fusion's RC3 version in the summer, again with the same BootCamp installation of XP, but with no luck. After I would activate my copy of windows, I would get a blue screen of death! That was the reason that made me switch to Parallels. Has anyone else observed a similar behavior?

Thanks a lot,

-- Ernani

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When you use a bootcamp volume with vmware or parallels, you need to shut it down (not sleep) if you want to use it in bootcamp.

Back up your windows data first (if necessary). Don't think you need to uninstall parallels stuff, but if it's easy, then do it.

If you are running a FAT partition, then you can use Winclone in OS X to backup / restore windows if something goes wrong.