VMware Fusion and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DougJrS, Sep 4, 2009.

1. DougJrS macrumors regular

Good Morning all!

I was thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard, but I use VM ware fusion. It appears that VMware fusion does not support the 64bit kernel and requires the 32bit kernel in Snow Leopard. I am not sure what this means. Can anyone help me understand what it means and if I should wait to upgrade till VMware has an update/version to address the issue?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think you can still run VMware fusion in SL but it runs at 32 bit, since SL has support for both 32 bit and 64 bit it shouldn't matter.

I hope so anyway, because I'm about to upgrade and I to need Fusion.

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

It means nothing, because there is no advantage to booting into the 64 bit kernel and no Mac hardware other than XServe boxes are configured to boot the 64 bit kernel by default.

VMWare Fusion works fine under Snow Leopard.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It means nothing because VMware fusion works fine when you just reboot your mac. I'm actually running VMware right this moment w/o any problems.

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I'm also running Fusion fine with SL

6. lavinci macrumors 6502

7. SilentCrs macrumors regular

One note: if you're going to be using Fusion you're probably also going to be using Windows 7. There's a known issue with VMware Tools that come with the current version of Fusion that causes the Windows 7 print spooler to crash repeatedly. You'll have to remove the VMware print monitor.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't assume that, I have Ubuntu running. I also know plenty of people who have Vmware and are running XP over anything - plus no desire to upgrade since it works

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I found a thread that had a link to Apple that had a Terminal command that would force SL to boot into 64-bit. It looks like Fusion has a problem with 64-bit. Does anyone know the link (or thr command line) so I can reset to 32-bit without having to hold down the 3-2 keys (or make Fusion work under 64-bit)?

When I try to open Fusion I get a message saying:
    [​IMG]

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Download this and run it. You can select 32 bit kernel mode as the default then.

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just switch back to the 32bit kernel and you'll be able to run Fusion.

12. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Advantages of booting into 64 bit kernel:
    http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-Performance.html#Lightroom

"Snow Leopard booted into the 32-bit kernel is always faster than Leopard, with fair to substantial gains, depending on the application.

But Snow Leopard booted into the 64-bit kernel shows a consistent performance advantage over Leopard, and even more advantage over 32-bit Snow Leopard as well. Performance gains of up to 30% were observed, making Snow Leopard by far the best value for the money in a long, long time. At about $25 , you won’t find a more compelling upgrade of any kind, anywhere."

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That's my question. How do I boot back into 32-bit without typing 3-2 each time?:confused:

EDIT: I still had Terminal open and here is the 64-bit boot command line.

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

Do I just change x86_64 to x86_32?

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So for now, you stick with the 32-bit kernel if you're running VMware Fusion. When VMware puts out a version that runs on 64-bit kernel, you upgrade and then set your Snow Leopard to boot in 64-bit mode. Seems pretty logical to me.

The problem I have right now is that the VMDKMounter seems to have disappeared when I did my upgrade. Anyone else seen this?

15. a4cab03 macrumors newbie

Here's an extract of the article on arstechnica
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/5

For all K64-capable Macs, boot while holding down "6" and "4" keys simultaneously to select the 64-bit kernel. For a more permanent solution, use the nvram command to add arch=x86_64 to your boot-args string, or edit the file /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add arch=x86_64 to the Kernel Flags string:

<key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>arch=x86_64</string>

To switch back to the 32-bit kernel, hold down the "3" and "2" keys during boot, or use one of the techniques above, replacing "x86_64" with "i386".

16. KPSTGES macrumors newbie

VMware Fusion and Snow Leopard printing issues

First post of mine here - I just upgraded to SL and had VMWare Fusion installed before and everything opens, runs and works (haven't switched to 32bit - don't actually know how). The ONE issue i am experiencing is that whenever i print anything from Windows to my networked printers, I get about 7 pages of garble/code/text. When i print it from Mac side everthing's fine, but i need to print UPS worldship labels, etc. from WinXP...any suggestions would be fantastic!