Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
iTunes froze up yesterday while I was running vmware fusion (on my bootcamp partition) and now when I try to start vmware I get the following error:

Cannot open the disk '/Users/neil/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
Reason: Resource busy.

Anyone else had this happen? How do I fix this ? :confused:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Go to Documents-->Virtual Machines and delete the bootcamp VM folder. It will recreate one next time you try to use the bootcamp partition as a VM.

imac123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Go to Documents-->Virtual Machines and delete the bootcamp VM folder. It will recreate one next time you try to use the bootcamp partition as a VM.

nope that didnt work... not getting "could not create the virtual disk for your boot camp virtual machine"

gpduarte

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Cannot open the disk '/Users/Gus/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Ma

Hi

I had VMWare installed in a macbook pro and then i bought i new macbook pro and i used time machine to transfer all the data from the old to the new. I did a new partition and i am now unable to run VMWare due to the following error

Cannot open the disk '/Users/Gus/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

I have uninstalled vmware and re-install it, but i can't have vmware asking me again with partition i want to run my virtual machine from. I tried to delete all the vmware folders after uninstall it. I also tried the tips already in this discussion but i don't have those folders

Help Please!

Thanks

Severisth

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
I have found a possible solution to "VMware could not create the virtual disk for your boot camp virtual machine".

Basically, you need to resize the partitions in Mac OS X. In my case, I had modified the partitions in Windows, which cause the problem.

Instructions
1. In spotlight, type "Disk Utility". Hit enter.
2. On the left hand side, select the disk which contains your installation of Mac OS X (likely called "Macintosh HD") and BOOTCAMP.
3. Choose the "partition" tab.
4. Grab the bottom right corner of the box named "Macintosh HD" and drag it up slightly. The text to the right should now read "This partition will be resized".
5. Click Apply. Click Partition.
6. Once this is done, grab the bottom right corner of the box named "Macintosh HD" and drag it down as far as it will go.
7. Click Apply. Click Partition.
8. Close VMware if it is running.
9. Delete the following folder: \Users\<username>\Library\Application Support\VMware Fusion\Virtual Machines\Boot Camp
9. Restart your computer.
10. Restart VMware and see if that solved the problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.