VMWare Fusion DELETE accident!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wonderbutt, Nov 10, 2011.

1. wonderbutt macrumors member

Please help. I deleted a huge folder full of music, photos, backed up movies, and documents. How?

I was in VMWare Fusion and accidentally deleted this folder, on an external 2TB HD connected to my iMac Core 2 Duo (mid 2007), which I shared with Windows XP install on VMWare fusion!

Now it's gone! The HD still shows the amount of space that I had remaining before the delete, so it's somewhere...but HOW to recover? I tried to "undo delete" in Windows but no help, as that was done before I did some other deleting in Windows!!

Please help, I need this stuff bad. Wife is going to choke me!

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Holy $%#$@.

So you need a way to recover files of a Fat32 formatted disk. I had limited success using file recovery tools on an SD card, but it DID recover about 1/2 or so.
    Can try something like this to see if can recover anything, then buy the full version.
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/filerecovery/

Or this, which looks interesting..
    http://www.pandorarecovery.com/download/

You might want to go to PC-centric forums as well.
    Good luck.

3. wonderbutt thread starter macrumors member

Hello, Mr. Kern.
    All is well! Here's what happened...

We all know how Apple's file handling, overall, is vastly superior and safer than Windows. When using the finder to open a file or save a file in an application, in Mac OSX, one cannot delete, move, rename, etc. in this dialogue.
    But this happens readily in Windows explorer. I found the folder, because I used Omnisweep to scan the HD, and saw one folder usually reserved for some .xml files to be massive, exactly the size I was missing.
    Seems during a Windows file dialogue, it moved accidentally as I browsed for a folder. I found it, moved it back, and backed it up.
    Thanks for your reply.