VMWare Fusion Extremely Slow When Using Vista Bootcamp Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KillerBuck, Apr 3, 2008.

1. KillerBuck macrumors newbie

KillerBuck

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my Bootcamp partition. I also installed Fusion using the methods proven in the forums. However when I run Vista through Fusion, it slows to a crawl. I have a 2.6 Core2Duo with 4G or RAM, so hardware shouldn't be a problem. Is there a list of settings that I should be following? Any suggestions as to why this might occur?

Thanks in advance.

Qilak

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

How much RAM do you give the boot camp partition under Fusion?

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

While playing with Fusion last night (WinXP), I found it to be rather pokey. I allocated 1GB of RAM and it was noticeably faster. I am actually considering converting my BC partition to a VMWare image and ditch the dual booting.

4. KillerBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

KillerBuck

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

That may have been too much - because OS X still needs at least 1GB otherwse you start paging too much. Try something like 2GB.

6. KillerBuck thread starter macrumors newbie

KillerBuck

OK, will do. Thanks for your help, I'll see if it works now.

7. CoolGuy2550 macrumors newbie

Which version of Vista Ultimate are you running? 64-bit or the 32-bit.

It was extremely slow when I did it with Vista 64-bit as Fusion is still not supporting that if you are using Boot Camp, not an image file. I tried doing 2 MB, 3 MB of RAM. It was all slow. Running the system takes 3 minutes, loading programs opening files took 10-20 seconds. However, running through boot camp was nice and fast.

Tried XP and so far bare-bone XP is running efficiently. Still didn't install anything on it but it is running smoothly under Fusion from the boot camp drive. And I am only giving it 1 MB of RAM.

I suggest you switch to the 32-bit if you want Vista (though under boot camp you will only see 3GB of RAM instead of 4GB) because Fusion supports that or wait for support from them to fix the issue.

8. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

9. chetan51 macrumors newbie

The problem was with 3d acceleration for me

I've been trying to run Windows 7 (64-bit) in VMware Fusion 3, and every time I try to boot the OS, it brings down my entire computer to a crawl. I fixed this by disabling 3d acceleration until after I finished booting and installing VMware tools. Hope this helps somebody.