VMware fusion graphics help..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Doerrt08, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Doerrt08 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I bought the late 08 macbook pro and installed VMware fusion for windows gaming. To my dismay I had disperse my Ram and processing power ie. choosing one processor or two and choosing how much memory to allot to the Virtual Machine. I dedicated 1.5 GBs of ram and two processors because I intend to use the software purely for gaming and would not need to multi-task from OSX to Windows while using Fusion. So basically everything worked fine and Vista worked perfectly until I tried to play Company of Heroes. It said my machine did not meet the minimum requirements. I looked into it and my graphics were lagging way behind the minimum requirements for the game. This is odd given that the Pro has the newest Nvidia mobile graphics and should be more than enough to run the game on high settings. I am not really sure why my graphics cards aren't be utilized in VMware. I am running 64 bit Vista, maybe because the cards are 32 bit. That's my only theory in which case I guess I will have to install Vista 32 bit. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

VMware Fusion isn't meant for 3D gaming. It is a virtual setting for Vista/XP to run inside OS X and does not allow direct access to the hardware. You'll notice if you go to graphic settings that it says VMware SVGA II or something along that line.

You will need to use Bootcamp to install Vista/XP onto a separate partition, then you will be able to play 3D Games, ie Company of Heroes or any other game.

3. rhyx macrumors 6502

If you want to game you need to use BootCamp. There is no nice way to make gaming work in Vmware or Parallels. At least not heavy 3d gaming.

4. cjh macrumors newbie

This might be helpful for you: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1287

Considering that Company of Heroes isn't listed on that page, you should probably first make sure that you have the "Accelerate 3D Graphics" option enabled (as in paragraph 3 of that page). If that doesn't work, you're likely stuck with Boot Camp to get your CoH fix.

5. Doerrt08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, looks like I will be switching to boot camp, grrrrr. Peace.