VMware Fusion Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idle0095, Aug 4, 2008.

1. idle0095 macrumors member

I have VMware fusion installed on my MBP with boot camp and i have windows XP. I want to install Vista Ultimate. Do i just use the vista disk and install it in windows xp? is there drivers involved that i need? I need help.

2. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I don't see why you couldn't do that. However you will want to install Vista on you bootcamp partition first. The partition should already be formatted in ntfs is so you should be able to upgrade from there. All the drivers you need should be on your Leopard disk. Then go reboot in to OSX and redo VMware fusion setup for bootcamp partitions.

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Fresh install

I think that a better solution is fresh install of Vista, not the upgrade. In this way you can avoid many problems later.

4. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

for one i dont have any of the leopared disks. i run vmware fusion then run boot camp parition then it loads xp then i put the dvd in for vista and it runs it to install. i dont know if i need drivers or not if i do the upgrade. i think this is a problem because i have never done this before.

5. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

should i run 32 bit or 64 bit? probaly 32 bit?

6. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Ok you are going to need the leopard disk as it holds all drivers you will need to run windows effectively on your mac. And I would stick with 32 bit at the moment.

7. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

okay i dont have the leopared disks. so what are my options now? are the drivers located online some were that i can download and run in windows? im downloading leopared via torrent but wont be done for awhile. so can i download the drivers?

8. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I think you have answered your own question at this point...patience my friend.;)

9. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

so dont install vista yet and wait for the torrent to down load? is that what your saying or can the drivers be downloaded?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't condone illegal downloading, but nonetheless the Bootcamp drivers are on the website: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp

It should be on the right hand column; be sure to download the right ones. Also Vista x64 supports 4GB RAM, is faster, and morer stable.

Finally if you're running this in VMware, install Vista in Bootcamp, then run VMware on the Bootcamp partition. Then install the VMware drivers.

11. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

i use vmware fusion to run bootcamp which is were xp is loacted. how to i install vista that way and replace xp? i tried it through xp and it wont work becaue the hard drive it wants to use isnt ntfs so on so on. so how do i do this through vmware fusion or what? anyone have detail insturctions.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay, you have to back up your XP partition first.

Then go to BootCamp and delete your old partition, recreate a new one and start a Vista installation.

Go through the usual installation and everything; I don't think upgrading XP works too well, so do a clean install. When everything is complete, install the BootCamp drivers.

Now you have a working BootCamp system, open up VMware and the BootCamp should come up as a virtual machine. Start it as a virtual machine and then when it's done booting go to the top menu bar and select Tools-->Install VMware Tools. This will install VMware drivers.

Now you have BootCamp partition that works on VMware and BootCamp.

13. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

okay so i went to bootcamp and the two options i have are

create or remove a windows partition.
    start the windows installer.

now i have windows xp on a 30 gb partition. how do i find that because the only thing showing is the macintosh hd. do i need to remove the windows xp parition and then redo it all completely? it says i need my mac os x install disc that i dont have. so will the downloadable drivers from apple work? i just want to make sure this all goes good and i have no problems.

14. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

so i went to that link for boot camp and i have not a clue what to download for this to work when i install vista. im gonna need some help.

15. idle0095 thread starter macrumors member

this is what mac is saying about installing windows.

After upgrading to Windows Vista, you’ll need to reinstall the Boot Camp drivers using the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard installation disc or the “Mac OS X Install Disc 1” that came with your computer to enable Vista on your Mac.

says i need to have the disc. do i need it or no?