Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I'm sure someones figured this out but I'm not finding the solution in any searches I've done so far.

I have a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard and installed Vmware Fusion, built a Windows 7 Pro x64 VM and while I can hit my Osx environment from the Win7 VM, I cannot hit anything external to the Mac Pro but on the same network from the VM and nothing outside of the Mac Pro on the same network can hit the VM as well.

Since I have a Mac Pro, I have two nic's and only need on for Osx, is there a way in Vmware Fusion to get the other NIC mapped to the VM directly so that I can get a valid non-Natted IP that is accessible external from the Mac to anything else on the same network/vlan?

Many Thanks!

Edit: Got it working with doing bridged mode to my secondary nic.

I tried this in VirutalBox and couldn't for the life of me get it working right but it works fine in Vmware Fusion.

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
I'm sure someones figured this out but I'm not finding the solution in any searches I've done so far.

I have a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard and installed Vmware Fusion, built a Windows 7 Pro x64 VM and while I can hit my Osx environment from the Win7 VM, I cannot hit anything external to the Mac Pro but on the same network from the VM and nothing outside of the Mac Pro on the same network can hit the VM as well.

Since I have a Mac Pro, I have two nic's and only need on for Osx, is there a way in Vmware Fusion to get the other NIC mapped to the VM directly so that I can get a valid non-Natted IP that is accessible external from the Mac to anything else on the same network/vlan?

Many Thanks!

You can manually set the IP to what you want on the second VM NIC. However, since you're probably a Comcast, Cox, etc. subscriber you only have one external IP. What you use at home is a NAT/PAT'd internal IP to get to the outside world. The same would exist for VMWARE

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
You can manually set the IP to what you want on the second VM NIC. However, since you're probably a Comcast, Cox, etc. subscriber you only have one external IP. What you use at home is a NAT/PAT'd internal IP to get to the outside world. The same would exist for VMWARE

I'm talking an internal LAN environment with multiple machines on this LAN that I want to be able to communicate with from the VM and for those multiple machines on the LAN.

Bottom line goal is I have tools that will only work in Windows that I need to be able to get to via remote desktop (MS RDP) from another Mac or another Windows box into this Win7 VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.