vmware fusion + matlab + macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by inkapyrite, Mar 28, 2008.

1. inkapyrite macrumors newbie

For those interested, this is to confirm that the windows version of matlab does run properly on vmware fusion.

And no, you don't need a MBP to run matlab via vmware fusion. Matlab runs at perfectly normal speed (aka the usual matlab slowness) on the macbook. RAM is your friend here. 2GB of RAM on my macbook seems adequate.

Btw, for those looking for an alternative to matlab, you should definitely give octave (an open source clone of matlab, comes in OSX binaries too) a go:

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

2. SiriusExcelsior macrumors regular

I've got a problem regarding this..

I got the Matlab 7.1 Student version (R14SP3) and since I upgraded from an iMac G3 to a MB, it no longer runs due to Rosetta's java limitations. I had bootcamp so I reinstalled Matlab under XP. But now it throws a licensing error when I start it up under Fusion.

I'm guessing it can't see the hardware network adaptor under Fusion (apparently that's what it uses as a machine id), since it still works fine under bootcamp. I know you can move the machine id-ing to the volume serial but that's just pushing the problem around (and it's just inconvenient having to call Mathworks to move the serial to a "new machine"). Is there any way to get Matlab to see the hardware NIC under Fusion?

Yea, ultimately I will re-buy Matlab 2008/2009 and run it under OSX, but until then (not going to buy until I have to, since I can't upgrade the student version) I would like to be able to use Matlab without having to reboot the entire computer...

Any help would be great :)