VMWare Fusion on March 2009 Mac Pros

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chelsel, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

May 24, 2007
    Inside VMWare Fusion you can configure the # of CPUs for the virtual machine. Given that the new Mac Pros present 2 CPUs for each core... how does this affect VMWare virtual machines?

Does a single CPU VM now see 2 CPUs internally but use 1 core on the host (Mac Pro), or does it use 1 core on the host no matter whether you specify 1 or 2 cpus for the VM? Or, even better, does a single CPU VM use 1/2 a core on the host?
  2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2008
    Good question. Most likely it appears internally as either 1 or 2 single core chips. On my non ht 08 I don't see multiple cores for each CPU. Since each virtual CPU. I would suspect it depends on the os scheduler for which CPU it runs on.
  3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    That's a good question, my guess would be 1cpu in vmware = 1 physical core. Unless Vmware happens to be using a different api to learn about the host system (doubtful), it would see 1 cpu for each core.
  4. gilroykilroy macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2009
    4 cores

I'm able to assign 4 cores to my Ubuntu 8.10 partitions.

FYI my personal Octo 2009 2.66 Ghz runs compiles twice as fast as my work Octo 2008 3.0Ghz; each assigned 4 cores and 5Gb memory.
  5. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Feb 27, 2009
    So. Cal.
  6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Nov 2, 2008
    That is interesting. That VMWare Fusion has been updated to support 4 virtual cpus now rather than just 2. Probably wouldn't be too useful on a current generation iMac, with just 2 cores (and without one available, I don't know if it will simulate 4 on a dual core system), but for certain cases, would be handy on a Pro. Especially the current one with 16 virtual cores.

The problem with Windows client systems, though, is the limit on physical sockets supported for each version, such as 1 for XP home, 2 for XP pro. Unless this too has changed, XP home would be limited to 1 of the 4,8,16 as appropriate cores on a Mac Pro. If it could be marked to support 2 or 4 cores as a single socket, then I could give my XP Home system a little more CPU power when needed in the future.