Vmware Fusion on remote desktop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by callorchat, Sep 17, 2013.

1. callorchat macrumors member

My existing setup: iMac 2010 base model (I3, 3.1GHz) with 12GB ram.

I have got plex server, mysql server, vmware fusion 5.1 with windows 8 (for .net development) running on them. Of late, I have noticed my machine is slowing down and seeing lots of applications hanging and spinning beach ball. I have checked the hard drive using disk utility and it hasn't reported any errors. So thinking about reducing the load/pressure on the iMac, by buying a mac mini (both iMac and mac mini will be connected to a gigabyte switch) and moving the vmware fusion instance, mysql server and plex server to it. mac mini will run as headless and i can screen share with iMac, if i need to configure something on the mac mini.

The reason i want to go down mac mini route, rather than new iMac, is i can get current generation mac mini for £200 discount (on both i5 and i7 models) from work (strangely i don't get discount on iMac).

My concern with this setup is, as i am planning to run the mac mini as head less, i need to access vmware instance on it using windows rdp or screen sharing from iMac. So i want to find out how the response would be. Will there be any lag or will there be any other issues which i haven't thought about with this setup.

I can buy a cheap windows laptop, but i don't think i can go back to using cheap laptops after using macbook air and premium windows laptops will cost me at least £800.

Any help, suggestions or comments about the setup or lag issues with accessing vmware instance using windows rdp or screen sharing will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading my post.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Don't try gaming using screen sharing. And you do want to use the OS X screen sharing. Also, you want to use a wired network between the 2 for best performance.

Personally, I'd suggest you buy a refurbished iMac from Apple to save money instead of complicating your setup by needing to maintain 2 machines. In my opinion saving money is great, but is it saving money if it's not what you really want and later wind up buying what you wanted in the first place?

3. callorchat thread starter macrumors member

I am console gamer, so i won't be playing games. I definitely prefer OS X Screen sharing.

This is actually a very good point, which i haven't thought about.

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you should just stuff a SSD in the iMac.

5. Jexta macrumors member

What you are suggesting in your original post will work fine. Screen sharing I would suggest by using Apple Remote Desktop to the Mac Mini, and you will be able to use Microsoft RDC to access the Windows VM, though I prefer a more stable RDC client (Jump or Cord) as MRDC is unstable on Mac OS X 10.7/10.8 installations.

There may be a little lag over the screen sharing, but your services certainly wont have any issues.

A decent RDC client will allow fairly seamless access to your VM, so I see no reason this wont work.

6. callorchat thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thanks Jexta. I will look into alternative RDC clients.

7. MrGimper macrumors 68040

MrGimper

Get a Mac mini and run ESXi free on it.

Create an OS X VM and a Windows VM on it.

8. callorchat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for asking a basic question, what are the advantages of running VMs in ESXi rather than running Vmware fusion (i have license) on mountain lion/mavericks