VMWare Fusion on USB 2.0 External Drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by portcontrol7, Oct 23, 2011.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

Anyone doing this with decent results? Getting a new MBP in two weeks, and I only have a USB 2 1TB External. How does that compare with running it on the internal HD? Space is at a premium as the MBP I am getting has only 500GB which will go fast.

I'd like to at least get a Firewire 800 external drive at some point...

2. simsaladimbamba

500GB should be more than enough to store a Windows VM installed via VMWare Fusion, unless you plan to install hundreds of GBs of applications to it.
    Normally a Windows VM is between 2GB and 20GB.
    Storing that Windows VM on an external USB 2.0 HDD will work, quite good actually, but there are still slowdowns compared to a FW800 HDD or using the internal HDD, but if you only use "small" applications in Windows, it should work, but using "small" applications will also let you store the VM internally.

3. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Its unfortunate that Thunderbolt is so new that no one makes an inexpensive HDD enclosure using Tb natively, or via Tb-eSATA/USB3 adaption.

4. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks simsaladimbamba. Go figure, the day before I was to order my MBP they updated it, so now I have a 750 vs. 500 HD to play around with. I think I should be tided over until there is hopefully a reasonable price for thunderbolt storage. :)