VMWare Fusion or Crossover Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dextermorgan, Nov 25, 2008.

1. dextermorgan macrumors member

Basically the only reason I need Windows is to use One Note. I have tried Omni Outliner, Notebook, etc. but nothing could come close to One Note.

The options I see are VMWare Fusion (or Parallels) or Crossover for Mac.

I already have Windows XP and One Note.

Anyone have experience with Crossover or any thoughts on which I should use?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If it were me id go the Fusion route for the simple reason you can run it off a windows partition, well handy should you ever need native speed ( shutdown fusion and boot into windows ) this is something crossover cannot do

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The indication from Crossover users on One Note's functionality is not exactly glowing...

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2865;forum=1;msg=38036

It seems to work, but it seems less than perfect. Given that you have XP already, I would go for Parallels or VMWare also. VirtualBox and Q are okay, too, albeit as far as I know the experience with the two paid apps is quite a lot better and most people consider it worthwhile.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Parallels is the answer. Fusion seems very clunky in comparison. The Coherence feature knocks Fusion's Unity hands down. I have OneNote and ran it with Parallels, it seemed to fit into OS X better than Fusion. You can customize what you want to see, task bar icons in menu bar, the start bar on top of dock or below menu bar, etc.

5. dextermorgan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. The one issue I have with Fusion and Parallels is the battery life. They seem to take it down quite a bit more than Crossover, but if thats the cost of keeping it stable then I will have to deal with it. Hopefully Microsoft will release a decent Mac version of One Note eventually. I know a lot of students that would be pretty happy if they did.