VMWare Fusion or CrossOvers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by regulusblack, May 1, 2010.

1. regulusblack macrumors member

I need to be able to run Office as well as some other Windows programs (like AutoCAD), and I've decided I definitely want to run the Windows versions of these programs rather than the Mac versions.

Should I use Fusion or CrossOvers? I've already bought Fusion, but it's still in the packaging.

This is the website I was looking at for CrossOvers:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/differences/

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Personally, if I was not going to Bootcamp, I would run Fusion
    I think you will find you have less issues than with Crossover

Others will have different opinions, but that is mine

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AutoCAD doesn't work with CrossOver http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=6355

For light usage Fusion is okay but isn't AutoCAD pretty demanding? When running Windows natively under BootCamp, it has more resources to use as OS X ain't hogging them.

You can always use both, BootCamp and Fusion

4. regulusblack thread starter macrumors member

Well dang. I didn't know it didn't run AutoCAD. Would it not be really slow using both? (FYI, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers.)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Using both means that you use BootCamp when using e.g. AutoCAD but when using lighter apps like Office, you use Fusion (or CrossOver as it supports Office)

That'd give the best performance for heavier apps but also makes it easier for you to run Windows (apps) in OS X

6. regulusblack thread starter macrumors member

Oh gotcha. So since I've already bought Fusion, I'll just stick with that since I'd have to buy Windows anyway...ugh.

So how should I split my memory? I have 4GB. It'll be a while before I even need to use AutoCAD, so I won't have it until probably next year.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would do 2GB and 2GB or 1.5GB (W7) and 2.5GB (OS X). Office ain't very demanding so no need for much RAM. I'd still try CrossOver (download the trial) and use it with Office and then return Fusion if it's good. Much lighter and faster than VMing

8. regulusblack thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, I'll do that. Thank you!