Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ed4132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Honduras
I want to run only one or two Windows software on my Mac, I need to know what is the best software to use before I buy.

Thanks

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
USA
VMWare Fusion 3.0 is my recommendation. I have a Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu installed as two guest operating systems under VMWare. The unity feature of VMWare is fantastic. I am able to run Mac and Windows applications (Excel, Windows, Power Point, etc) at the same time without any issues.

alxgr

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
I can confirm Parallels Desktop 5 is stable enough. I'm using Windows XP SP3 and it works great for me.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
VirtualBox if free from Sun and it does basically everything those two do except integrating the Windows applications into the Mac desktop. Try that before you buy anything.

NOSintake

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
I was wondering the same thing. I want to run windows 7 (and possibly ubuntu) virtually, but don't know which type of software to get. when I get windows 7, it will have office, and maybe a few other programs, but nothing intensive like photoshop. thanks for the help

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Go with vmware. A rock solid app and great support. Parallels has better OpenGL and directx performance which is useful for playing games

With all that said about parallels they seem to rush out buggy updates and their support is subpar to vmware

Virtualbox while free lacks the polish and integration of the other two products. Plus with oracle buying sun I wonder about the longterm viability of VB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.