VMware Fusion or Parallels or ????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ed4132, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Ed4132 macrumors regular

I want to run only one or two Windows software on my Mac, I need to know what is the best software to use before I buy.

Thanks

2. Ed4132 thread starter macrumors regular

3. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

VMWare Fusion 3.0 is my recommendation. I have a Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu installed as two guest operating systems under VMWare. The unity feature of VMWare is fantastic. I am able to run Mac and Windows applications (Excel, Windows, Power Point, etc) at the same time without any issues.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Parallels 5 - faster
    Vmware Fusion 3 - stable

5. alxgr macrumors newbie

I can confirm Parallels Desktop 5 is stable enough. I'm using Windows XP SP3 and it works great for me.

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

VirtualBox if free from Sun and it does basically everything those two do except integrating the Windows applications into the Mac desktop. Try that before you buy anything.

7. NOSintake macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing. I want to run windows 7 (and possibly ubuntu) virtually, but don't know which type of software to get. when I get windows 7, it will have office, and maybe a few other programs, but nothing intensive like photoshop. thanks for the help

8. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Interesting review but does not come across as impartial - the way they describe Parallels you would think it's so full of bugs it's unusable. I haven't found a single problem with 5.0 yet, despite using it every single day since release, which does not tally with "extremely buggy across the board" :confused:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go with vmware. A rock solid app and great support. Parallels has better OpenGL and directx performance which is useful for playing games

With all that said about parallels they seem to rush out buggy updates and their support is subpar to vmware

Virtualbox while free lacks the polish and integration of the other two products. Plus with oracle buying sun I wonder about the longterm viability of VB