VMWare Fusion or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by danny_w, Nov 12, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I haven't seen any recent posts on the subject, so what do people out there think of VMWare vs. Parallels? I recently downloaded the VMWare demo this weekend and had all sorts of troubles running different versions of Windows (I tried Win98, Win2k, and WinXP sp2b). It would hang on creating a snapshot, sometimes replaced the cursor with a big black square, and sound didn't work in Win98 (but it did install). I then downloaded Parallels demo and tried the same things with no problems except that Win98 won't install (it needs a boot floppy - I think there is an image somewhere on the 'net, but I just have to find it).

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i haven't had a single issue with fusion running my xp pro sp2 boot camp partition, works great. i just upgraded from 1.1rc to 1.1 last night too without a hitch. try running the new version of fusion (62573) that came out last night... http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I'll have to give the new version a try (I didn't know about it). I was not impressed with all of the problems that I saw in 1.0, and since I don't have Leopard I can't install a Boot Camp partition. I found a link to BC 1.2 but don't know if it supports the C2D MB, and I didn't d/l it before Apple pulled the plug.

4. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I have bootcamp running on a core 2 duo iMac if that helps at all.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue