VMware Fusion, Parallels or Bootcamp? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ringo-Chan, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ringo-Chan macrumors member

Ringo-Chan

I'm trying to get windows on my Mac for a drawing program called "Paint tool Sa"i and I need pressure sensitivity. I tried Parallels and it was a bit slow and lagged a bit, so I was wondering about the other 2 as well VM was a big laggy but opened faster then Parallels what about bootcamp? I don't really care as long as it opens fast doesn't lag too much and has pressure sensitivity. :p:p

2. simsaladimbamba

What exact Mac with what specs do you have and what Windows version do you use and how much RAM did you give it?

Booting Windows on the Mac

Boot Camp is the best when running CPU and GPU intensive applications, but one can use a VM when one does not need that much power.

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Dude, bootcamp basically is nothing but a drivers collection for Windows and a little utility that repartitions the hard disk for you.

It's nothing magical. It's just the software that "turns your Mac into a PC".

Since you seem to rely on Windows software, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble - and money - by just buying a regular PC instead.

That being said, if you want to go down the virtualization route, I recommend VMWare Fusion. In my experience, it's more solid and more professional than Parallels Desktop.

4. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Winni is correct but misses the point slightly.

Bootcamp is nothing new, but it is quite special. Yes, it has been around for years but it is FREE !!!!

It means you boot your mac into Windows and it runs natively and, generally, faster than it would on similar hardware. (prepare for flaming :D)

Fusion and Parallels are both virtualisation and give you convenience of running Windows programs within OSX. The pay off is less access to resources such as CPU, GPU, memory etc. Also, it 'pretends' to be a Windows machine so there are compatibility issues on some programs too.
    Try Bootcamp. It won't take long to set up. If you don't like it, uninstall and reclaim your disk space.