VMWare Fusion/Parallels question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Dec 1, 2007.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hi I have a MacBook and for Christmas am going to jack up the RAM to 4 GBs, and buy Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit version, and want to run a emulation server of EverQuest called EQClassic, which can be found on EQclassic.com. I was wondering, since it is using everything original, including the graphics models, which are over 8 years old, how these would run over VMWare Fusion or Parallels. I am aware of them being emulators, but they also support 3d and with 4 GBs of RAM I am not sure. Are there any advantages of either of them? Can I have them share a partition with Boot Camp if needed? Can I play the game full screen with VMWare Fusion or Parallels?

Help appreciated greatly! :eek:

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're going to set up Vista in BC, then that's the mode I'd use for dedicated gaming. Parallels can use the BC partition as well, so you don't have to install twice, but is not the recommended way to manage a CPU/GPU-intensive task.

Having 4GB of RAM certainly helps, but remember that running Parallels or VMWare means that the Mac OS is also still running and using some of those resources, and consequently not all of the RAM can be allocated to the emulation. Rebooting into Vista with the BC partition gives full hardware access and control to Vista at that point.

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

technically microsoft's licensing states you aren't allowed to run windows vista home basic/premium virtually... vista business and ultimate are the only ones legally allowed to be run virtually... however i don't think they would notice

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I forgot about that little gem. I wonder what the rationale for that is? Then again, I wonder why they need so many freaking versions. Marketing people annoy me...