Vmware Fusion Parallels, what is it exactly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LeandrodaFL, Sep 5, 2013.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Hey all, currently on Moutain Lion, but since displeased with it, I was wondering if any one is using Snow Leopard on this, and how it compares to the real deal we all know.

Im seriouslly considering going back to Windows Vista or 7 after Mountain Lion Fiasco

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What's wrong with Mountain Lion? What fiasco are you talking about?

If anything was a fiasco, it's Windows Vista.

3. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

I always thought that Snow Leopard -> Lion was about as bad as XP -> Vista. The Mac fan base is just much smaller so the outcry was much more quiet.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You can do it, but it's a waste really because it will run slower and your hardware is virtualized. Don't bother. If you really hate ML just reinstall SL. You can always just go back to windows, that's fine. But not sure what the problems with ML are, I don't see many people complaining about it. Anyway, use whatever OS you want. But I don't recommend virtualizing your hardware to do so. Reinstall SL, or install Win7 via bootcamp if that is going to be your primary OS.

5. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Installin Snow Leopard on a current hardware will require me to hackintosh....
    i gues thats what Im gonna do.

Lion/Mountain Lion is hated by most snow leopard users, you can search for this online. I also dont love Vista, but its way better then Lion

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Could you elaborate on this... in what ways is Vista better than Mountain Lion?
    We await your reply.

7. dazey, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

dazey macrumors 6502

I run snow leopard server on VMware on a Mountain lion server. Mountain lion could not replicate some of the SL server functions for webdav, so I run two servers on one machine (in place of what was in the past a single Leopard (not SL) server). SL was the last proper server version IMO.

It runs fine, but it just serves webdav (using ML as the master directory server). For what its worth, I run SL on two machines, ML on two others. I do hack the ML to be a bit more like SL but I don't have a huge problem with ML. I have been considering moving the mac pro from SL to ML as well but will probably wait and see what Mavericks looks like now before deciding to migrate it.

Oh, one last thing, I don't think you can run the desktop version of SL on VMware or Parallels since the Apple licence prohibits virtualisation (this changed on Lion if memory serves and you can run desktop versions of this). Server versions have always been allowed to be virtualised as far as I can remember.

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I thought that they changed this recently. I thought it was as long as the client is a Mac you can run them in virtualization. I think I have Mountain Lion image I made when it first came out to play with some things. But that image will NOT work on windows.

9. simsaladimbamba

I am not sure, what your thread title, "Vmware Fusion Parallels, what is it exactly, does mean. Can you elaborate?

You can only use 2011 hardware like 2011 GPUs and 2011 CPUs and 2011 mainboards for that. 2012 and 2013 hardware will not work with a Hackintosh and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

What exactly displeases you with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?

I had the same reservations, but now I am using OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on a 2012 Hackintosh (i7-3770K, Gigabyte UD3H, Asus GTX670) and it works quite fine, though it has it quirks (mainly USB 3.0 ports being a bit finicky).
    I can live with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion now using TotalSpaces and TotalFinder quite well, as I myself had quite big reservations for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion due to Mission Control, but apart from some quirks, I can live with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion okay.
    I even used that Hackintosh for a month to generate 550 minutes of 1080p HD video using Avid Media Composer and Adobe After Effects. It did not went smoothly, but it went in the end, but then again, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard are gone, at least on current hardware.

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

The host OS has to be the same as a guest OS if you want to virtualize OSX. There is no legal way to virtualize Snow Leopard client. The only legal virtualized version of Snow Leopard is Snow Leopard Server and that's it.

11. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Friend, looks like a hackintosh is the right option for me. I have a list of over 30 issues with ML that really slows down my productivity. I dont think is necessary posting here, but it does affect my heart and mind.

Having said that, I would apreciate your help. In terms of CPU/GPU Power, I am more then happy with any quad-core sandy bridge processor. I was using SL on Core 2 Duo..inst that right? What enriches my Mac experience is the SL software :) In adition, I do make a lot of home videos, so I kinda will apreciate building a computer with 6TB, this will be welcome. So can you please PM me a nice configuration for a SL machine? Im a total noob on hackintoshes, altough I do build PCs.

12. simsaladimbamba

As I have not build a Sandy Bridge Hackintosh, though I tried first just for staying with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, I could not find Sandy Bridge motherboards and CPUs that easily where I live (am still a sucker for not shopping online, I leave enough traces as it is) and good GPUs. OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has a lot of drivers for modern Nvidia GPUs, which draw me to it.

Anyway here is a start to read up on things and here is a place to ask for compatibility issues.

Also know, that with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion the building of a Hackintosh became easier, but if you are good with tinkering and don't mind the week of research and the days to build and configure a Sandy Bridge Hackintosh, go forward.

PS: I recommend the Fractal R4 case just for the 8 slots for 3.5" HDDs. I currently have five HDDs (1x 1.5 TB, 3x 2 TB and 1x 3TB) and one 256 GB SSD in this beast.

13. theluggage macrumors 68040

Well, yes, Lion server was a train wreck of Vista-esque proportions, unless you just look on it as $30 utility to set up shared Time Machine backups.

Not quite sure why the hate for Lion and ML as desktop OSs, though. Most of the ooh-tablets-are-cool stuff is optional or ignorable (unlike Windows 8) or can be turned off.

14. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Double dittos on what theluggage said. The biggest "complaint" about Lion/Mountain Lion was no more support for Rosetta/PowerPC app's.

The reality is that, if a software manufacturer hasn't updated their programs to eliminate the need for Rosetta/PowerPC, then find another app that works on Lion/Mountain Lion.

15. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

If I were to stay with Moutain Lion, Apple machines are good enough for me. I could even get a new mac with mavericks later this year. My only reason for hackintosh is to run Snow Leopard, my favorite OS ever. Regarding online shopping, you have to order from US mostly, anything you want you can find on ebay.

Thanks for the case recomendation. Now coincidentally, a beautifll case I would like to have was the one used by psystar. It has glossy reflection white, an alluminum detail to the front, the Superdrive bays are covered, it has no ventilation holes in the front or top, and its somewhat compact. Thats design perfection. And ironically, a finger to Apple. Who is the manufacturer of this case, can this be found anywhere?

Attached Files:

16. MichaelLAX, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

It was a common Urban Myth that the Snow Leopard (client) EULA prohibited its virtualization in Lion or Mt. Lion on a Mac.

That myth has been largely debunked!

Apple threw in the towel and recognized the activities of those who would run Snow Leopard (client) in Parallels (primarily to regain access to Rosetta) and rendered the debate largely moot by dropping the price of Snow Leopard Server by 95% -- to the same $19.95 as Snow Leopard (client).

17. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

But what does this do exactly, like I asked in the thread title. Im unfamiliar with "virtualization" Ive never seen this live. Will my Mac operate like if it had a true Snow Leopard install? (ive no plans of ever using mountain lion). It looks like the OP on the thread you linked expressed concerns about using Time Machine/keeping any important files on the snow leopard in virtualization.

18. MichaelLAX, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

I was correcting dazey's and pdjudd's largely incorrect assertions about the legal and illegal uses of Snow Leopard in virtualization.

To answer your question is difficult without knowing exactly what you experience on a day to day basis. No: virtualization of Snow Leopard will not make it the main OS of your Mac, but you can obtain its features as a secondary OS. You will never be 100% satisfied with virtualization of SL on a Mt. Lion Mac.

The principal use of virtualizing SL is to gain access to Rosetta to re-enable the use of PowerPC apps.

And, yes, being the OP on the thread I linked, I never keep important files INSIDE of virtualization, but access them from the main hard drive using the Shared Files folder in Parallels, or file sharing. Then Time Machine saves them automatically.

My advice, stick with Mountain Lion; or

Maybe, you should actually try SLS in Parallels:

Parallels offers a 14 day free trial. I recommend that you first obtain Snow Leopard Server for $19.95 by calling the Apple Store and requesting part number MC588Z/A. Then download the free trial software from Parallels and install Snow Leopard Server into it.

You would probably like most the Coherence mode, which lets Snow Leopard operate in the same window as Mt. Lion. Here is an example of a PowerPC app Appleworks and others working side by side to Lion (Mt. Lion) in Coherence Mode in Parallels:

[click on image to enlarge]

Attached Files:

19. simsaladimbamba

Virtualisation is the running of one OS within another OS as a virtual machine instead of a real machine.

Let's say you have a an iMac with a quad core CPU and 8 GB RAM and running with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. This is the real machine.
    Then you want to install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto it, but in order to do so, you choose between VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop as the two main choices for running virtual machines on Mac OS X.
    You then open VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop and install the OS of your liking, in your case, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    It will be stored as one or several files on the HDD/SSD of your choosing.
    Once installed, you can give that virtual machine resources, as you have a real machine with four cores and 8 GB RAM, you can give the virtual machine half of that, two cores and 4 GB RAM, thus you have still two cores for everything outside this virtual machine and 4 GB.

Therefore you can run two or more OSs at the same time, the one using the real machine, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion in this case, will be faster, since there are no additional layers between the OS and the hardware like with a virtual machine (OS and VMWare Fusion / Parallels Desktop between virtual OS and real hardware).

Anyway, you cannot run a virtual machine when Mac OS X is not booted.

It is not the best of explanations, but maybe have a look here, even if it pertains to Windows instead of Mac OS X, the same principles apply: Booting Windows on the Mac