VMware fusion problem on macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bob2131, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    i was using windows xp within fusion for a while, then i stopped, then i bought a new internal drive for macbook and cloned old drive to an external, and then external to new internal.

i think this is when fusion and windows xp stopped working.
    fusion works, but it says partition table of xp changed or something, and message said to delete windows and re-install it something along those lines.
    eg delete and just add again.

ive removed the boot camp partition from vmware.
    now im lost and confused.

the windows drive partition is still on my mac desktop.
    can i simple use this again within vmware? or do i have to delete that and re-install windows xp on bootcamp again?

thankyou

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you want to have a shared Boot Camp/Fusion install. Correct?

Does it still work in Boot Camp after your drive switcharoo? If so jut add it to Fusion again. If not, reinstall in Boot Camp, get that to work again and then add to Fusion.

B

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thankyou

yeah i had it set up so that i could either boot up solely from windows, when booting up mac, or i could use osx and just fire up fusion with xp in its own window.

Yes bootcamp works, i used it today after deleting the drive in fusion.

I tried adding to fusion, i couldnt work it out.

I have an "untitled" drive on my mac desktop, which is the windows xp files(programme files etc).
    But when i point fusion to this, it doesnt recognise it.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How comfortable are you in Terminal.app?

My next guess is that your partition tables are out of sync, and the only tools I know of to check that are command line based, run from Terminal.app.

B

5. bob2131, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

how does fusion install or read the windows drive?

do we point it to the actual hard drive bootcamp partition on my hard drive ? or is there another virtual image or somthing somewhere?
    ive noticed a vmare fusion folder in my documents.

i have a winclone copy of my windows too, dont know if that is relevant here.

ive never used terminal. Sounds scary. :eek:

new > virtual machine.....then i get a black screen saying GUID and some other code.... but it never asked me where my windows drive is...."no bootable device was detected".

Bootcamp partition settting within fusion...hard disks, it says none...do i need to make one here?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It sets up a virtual hard drive that just points to the appropriate location on your hard drive.

You have two partition tables. A GPT one for Mac OS and a (hybrid) MBR which should be a copy of the GPT one for Windows. If they get out of sync Fusion can get confused as to where it should point on the hard drive.

I'll try to write something up you can follow to see if this is a problem or not, but in the meantime...

Can you post a screenshot of what Fusion is showing you when you start it? I'm also suspecting that you may not have completely removed the old VM.

B

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just spotted some .vmdk files and other stuff in a bootcamp folder while i was trying to do this in fusion....
    now i cant find this folder on my mac drive.

im reading the getting started fusion pdf.
    i tried to create a hard drive in fusion, it wouldnt let me, saying i dont have persmission.
    but i dont think i need to do this...as the pdf section on how to make it work with boot camp says to just run fusion and it picks up bootcamp, you choose that, then click run, then fusion creates the virtual machine. I cant get to this step. It does see bootcamp, but when try to run it i get the black screen

see pics attached.

thankyou

Attached Files:

8. leafsrule99 macrumors newbie

i have had the same error earlier this month for my parition, i got that error everytime i restarted my partition.

I think the error disappears on its own after a while because i dont get that error anymore

9. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, xp did not work ever with vmware after i installed and cloned old drive to new mac internal. Vmware message said to delete and re-add windows, so thats what i am not trying to do now.

Cheers.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Tells me you have not removed all the VMs.

You want the screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Highlight anything above "Home" and right click on it to delete.

Then once all you have is the "Home" icon, try hitting the icon on the right that says "Run Windows from your Boot Camp Partition".

B

11. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ive tried that already. i tried doing that kind of thing earlier on today, i created a coupla things and deleted them now.

and the delete option is greyed out for the bootcamp option, see pic.

Attached Files:

12. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry I didn't check back in the thread after your last post.

Are you running VMWare Fusion 2.x? Your screen looks different than mine or the screenshots I posted. Since there is no "Home" icon. So what I am able to try in 3.x may not apply.

Can you right click on the Boot Camp icon (left hand side) and use "Show in Finder" to reveal its location? Don't do anything else yet, just reveal its location.

Should be something like:
    Code:
    /Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm

B

14. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no probs :)

i am using vmware fusion 2.0

location home folder>library>application support?vmware fusion>virtual machines>boot camp>%fdev%2fdisk0
    in this last folder is the file itself, boot camp partition "virtual machine" it is about 40mb in size

thanks