VMware Fusion Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Namek Kural, May 3, 2008.

1. Namek Kural macrumors member

Hey,

I installed Win XP Pro with BootCamp and it runs perfectly! After some time using the BootCamp partition in VMware Fusion, explorer.exe doesn't start at system startup. When I try to start it through the Task Manager, it runs for a second or less and then crashes again, trying to start every 2 seconds and crashing again and again.

I don't have any problems in BootCamp although this problem occurs in VMware.

Anyone an idea?

EDIT: Newest MBP 15'' small one. OSX Leopard, newest updates installed. The problem could have occured after the BootCamp Update but I'm not sure... thx

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

3. Namek Kural thread starter macrumors member

I have the newest Updates installed, yes. Still the same problem.

4. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I don't use a Boot Camp partition in Fusion ... I simply went with creating a Virutal Machine directly from Fusion by running the Windows XP installer within Fusion.

I haven't experienced any issues.

5. Namek Kural thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to install Windows twice. Sometimes I need the real power of my Mac, that's what I use BootCamp for.

6. Namek Kural thread starter macrumors member

7. chscag macrumors 68000

Since XP Pro runs normally when you boot to the Windows partition, the only suggestion I can give you is to uninstall Fusion (which will remove the Boot Camp VM), reinstall with the latest updates and start over. A definite pain, but you can't run Windows if Explorer won't run. :eek:

8. Namek Kural thread starter macrumors member

9. i8iridium macrumors newbie

Hey guys...my first post but i found this via a google search and i am having the exact same issues. I'm running the newest version of Fusion (1.1.2). I have tried to uninstall/reinstall, but i'm in the same boat. Very frusterating.

10. Namek Kural thread starter macrumors member

Same for me, un- and reinstalling didn't work. Running Windows in BootCamp is no problem.

I'm using Version 2.0 beta at the moment.

11. Namek Kural thread starter macrumors member

I solved the problem... I wonder why I didn't try this earlier:

Run AntiVir and it will find some viruses. After running explorer.exe it will find another one.

I feel so stupid running windows without an Anti Virus Program :) :eek:

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Just curious, why would a virus cause Explorer to crash in the VM but yet work just fine in Bootcamp?

I've been using my Bootcamp installation of Vista with VMware Fusion for a long time now without any major issues. When I do encounter problems I generally just delete the VMX (configuration) file and let Fusion recreate it.

13. mafux777 macrumors newbie

Windows runs without explorer.exe

So I am having some problems with explorer.exe under Fusion, too. Sometimes it just seems to hang. Luckily, sending crtl-alt-del to the VM will allow you to open the task manager. You can then kill explorer.exe and relaunch it manually, using "new process".
    Not very elegant, but it helped me a few times.