vmware fusion question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gothamm, Nov 28, 2007.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

in addition to my whitebook, i also own a compaq laptop running vista.

is there any way to install vmware fusion on it and run xp on a vista laptop?

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Not fusion since that is the OS X client, but you can certainly get VMWare for Vista.

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

Indeed, and even better, VMWare Server is a free (as in beer) download. It has a couple of shortcomings. For instance I believe it doesn't have the ability to setup shared folders between the host and client OS. Small price to pay for free though IMO.

4. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I think what you want is VMWare Player:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

VMs created on VMWare Fusion on the Mac can be used in VMWare Player on Windows or Linux without modification.

5. thegrifman macrumors regular

VMWare Player doesn't allow you to create virtual machines so he would have to use one that was already made by another app like VMWare Server anyway, or download Appliances from VMWare but I'm pretty sure XP isn't an option as a download ;)

6. bestthereis27 macrumors member

You would need something like VMWare Workstation. I think the lastest one is Version 6 something.

7. chelsel macrumors 6502

8. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

thegrifman is right, VMware Server is the way to go on a Windows platform (or Linux). Free and fully-featured. Don't bother with Workstation, Player, or GSX at this point.