VMWare Fusion RC1 released

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bigandy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It came out yesterday, and it's got some nice improvements, including proper Santa Rosa MBP support, and GMA950 support for DirectX ;)

Just posting because I don't see a thread already. :)

Here's a snippet of the release notes:

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/releasenotes_fusion.html#newrc1

http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I deleted Fusion and Parallels a couple of weeks ago, as I no longer needed XP, but this is cool...

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Sounds good. Parallels has been causing me grief lately.

4. dooyou macrumors regular

I just installed it yesterday and it works great. But i doesn't notice any difference between beta 4 and the rc1. but it doesn't matter :)

im looking forward to the final version.

5. GlynJones macrumors 6502

6. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't have thought so. EVE is DX9, isn't it? At the minute Fusion only supports DX8.1 ( as does Parallels, despite claiming otherwise ).

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

ANything worthwhile the upgrade from RC4 or a switch from parallels 3

8. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

For me, RC1 re-enabled DirectX ( I'm on a MacBook ). It does appear to be a little faster. Unity appears to be a bit more slicker, too, though I don't tend to run XP very often.

Worth a switch from Parallels? IMHO, yes, and that's mainly from a support POV. I mainly run Solaris; Parallels' Solaris support is abysmal ( one of the reasons I removed PD ).

9. georgeoommen macrumors regular

VMware makes Windows Partition disappear

Under normal circumstances i can see my windows partitions on my desktop just under my Mac HD and also in finder. But the moment I start VMware, this partition disappears and the only way I have to get access to this partition is by restarting the computer. Has anyone else seen this issue? And if so does the RC1 take care of it?

Thanks for the replies.

10. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Great news. I still generally run Win2K on my virtual machines, since I find it's less resource intensive and runs more happily when RAM restricted. I'd been looking somewhat enviously at Unity and wondering about moving to XP, now it seems I won't have to.

11. katorga macrumors regular

Not for me. It kind of bugs me too.

On a good note, the directX support seems faster, but I get some incorrect rendering in games like Fate.

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Are you using VMWare to run Windows from your Boot Camp partition? It's probably un-mounting the partition so that it can have access to it. All you need to do is go to Disk Utility and re-mount it.

13. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Excellent I prefer VMWare to Parallels anyway.

Parallels installs a lot of stuff all over OS X and it took me a while to clean up my machine.

Any ideas on when it'll go Gold?

14. georgeoommen macrumors regular

Yes I am... Never thought of doing that. I switched to the mac just couple weeks ago, so still learning how to do everything!!

Thanks for that suggestion. Will try it and report back..

On another note, does anyone find that VMWare is a lot more processor hungry than parallels? Whenever I run my bootcamp partition through VMWare my processor is almost always at 100% and the temperatures shoot up to the high 80's. In Parallels, the processor usage seems to be around 60% with temps in the mid to high 60's. Any thoughts?

15. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have used Parallels Before and understand how virtuilization works, however...Please excuse the noobness of this question but

This VMWare Fusion allows me to run Windows XP within OSX from my Boot camp partition? Meaning All my programs and what not I have installed in XP from Boot Camp are accessable now?

I guess what Im asking is, I dont have to have (2) seperate Windows XP's? (1) Being Native With Boot Camp, and (1) being Virtual with this software?

16. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

From the first post:

So I think you can use your existing boot camp partition, though I am not 100% sure, as I have never used the software.

Parallels has very nice integration with your boot camp partition.

17. sxl95 macrumors member

My question is if Parallels is worth the extra $40 over pre-ordering VMWare. Before I reinstalled OS X on my new 2.2 MBP, I played around with both, and it seems as though VMWare worked better. I think I've heard that it isn't as fast though. Unfortunately, neither seemed to do a great job with Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Any advice? I'd be using Windows XP Pro, with SP2 added after install.

-Sam

18. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

In your situation, I would install boot camp. However, if you don't like that option, maybe you could preorder VMWare, get the preorder discount, and if you decide you do not like it as much as parallels when it comes out next month, you can sell it on here, ebay, whatever, for like $60-$70, and put that towards parallels.

19. bohrsatom macrumors member

I don't suffer from this on my Rev C MB. Does your VM have two virtual processors? I found that when I had two virtual processors the CPU usage for the vmware application nearly doubled and I had higher temps to match. Switching back to a single processor remedied the problem and I get the mid-to-high 60s when using my XP VM.

HTH

20. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I bought Vista Home Premium not realising you can't use it with virtualisation software :( otherwise VMWare would be very convenient.